Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:07 PM   #76
CaleM3
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
I just got the Note 2 yesterday and this thing is a pretty amazing device. There are many features I don't see myself using a lot, but man does it give people variety. I spent the better half of today setting up my phone with a custom launcher, lock screen, a multitude of widgets, and other tweaks. I am running a stock, unrooted, phone at the moment. I surprised myself by getting this actually, I've had every iteration of the iPhone except the iP5 and was looking for some change. I will say that the phone is ever so slightly too big and too slippery, but it isn't a deal breaker or anything. I am going to stick out the Note 2 for about two weeks and make my final decision (Bought off contract from AT&T so 14 day return policy). I will say that over this first day and a half, the battery life is amazing, android offers so many options, and multi-view is freakin awesome!
CaleM3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:10 PM   #77
OceanView
macrumors 6502a
 
OceanView's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaleM3 View Post
I just got the Note 2 yesterday and this thing is a pretty amazing device. There are many features I don't see myself using a lot, but man does it give people variety. I spent the better half of today setting up my phone with a custom launcher, lock screen, a multitude of widgets, and other tweaks. I am running a stock, unrooted, phone at the moment. I surprised myself by getting this actually, I've had every iteration of the iPhone except the iP5 and was looking for some change. I will say that the phone is ever so slightly too big and too slippery, but it isn't a deal breaker or anything. I am going to stick out the Note 2 for about two weeks and make my final decision (Bought off contract from AT&T so 14 day return policy). I will say that over this first day and a half, the battery life is amazing, android offers so many options, and multi-view is freakin awesome!
Get a case and you wont have to worry about the slippery surface.
If you like it this much after just 1 day, your gonna like it more after a week and it will be painful to go back to an iPhone.
The size will feel normal as well.
__________________
21" iMac, Mac Mini, MBA 13, iPad, Nook HD+, Samsung Note III & S4
OceanView is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:31 PM   #78
CaleM3
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanView View Post
Get a case and you wont have to worry about the slippery surface.
If you like it this much after just 1 day, your gonna like it more after a week and it will be painful to go back to an iPhone.
The size will feel normal as well.
Agreed, case is on order from Amazon, should be here Wednesday and also ordered a 32 gb micro SD card. I do really enjoy the device, but there are just a few things I have my reservations on. I do notice that the quality of similar apps for iOS are better (mainly the details in the app, resolution etc), I do miss iMessage because most of my family and friends have iPhones (I am tech support lol), and I hate bloatware (but this can be fixed by rooting). Overall I am quite pleased, but there are minor complaints that I have to see if I can live with. This is my first LTE devices, so that is a plus too!
CaleM3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:03 PM   #79
OceanView
macrumors 6502a
 
OceanView's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaleM3 View Post
Agreed, case is on order from Amazon, should be here Wednesday and also ordered a 32 gb micro SD card. I do really enjoy the device, but there are just a few things I have my reservations on. I do notice that the quality of similar apps for iOS are better (mainly the details in the app, resolution etc), I do miss iMessage because most of my family and friends have iPhones (I am tech support lol), and I hate bloatware (but this can be fixed by rooting). Overall I am quite pleased, but there are minor complaints that I have to see if I can live with. This is my first LTE devices, so that is a plus too!
Yes there are pros and cons to this phone or any other phone for that matter.
It's really about deciding which pros you want and which cons you can live with.
For me and my uses I find the Note II to be perfect and the iPhone a bit antiquated. I was helping my sister the other day do something on her iPhone. It was painful trying do simply attach a photo to an email and how this process has to be repeated for each photo. At that point I realized there is no way in hell I would go back to an iPhone.
__________________
21" iMac, Mac Mini, MBA 13, iPad, Nook HD+, Samsung Note III & S4
OceanView is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:56 AM   #80
rmhop81
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Dallas, Tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanView View Post
Yes there are pros and cons to this phone or any other phone for that matter.
It's really about deciding which pros you want and which cons you can live with.
For me and my uses I find the Note II to be perfect and the iPhone a bit antiquated. I was helping my sister the other day do something on her iPhone. It was painful trying do simply attach a photo to an email and how this process has to be repeated for each photo. At that point I realized there is no way in hell I would go back to an iPhone.
http://www.realtytechtalk.com/profil...ching-multiple
__________________
MBA|13.3"|128GB iPad rMini|32GB|LTE iPhone 5|16GB Apple TV Time Capsule
rmhop81 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:48 AM   #81
JoeG4
macrumors 68020
 
JoeG4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bay Area, Ca.
Send a message via ICQ to JoeG4 Send a message via AIM to JoeG4
I just wanted to add, is it me or is the Note 2 a really pretty phone? I love the shiny grain on the titanium grey ones, and the design is so clean and simple.
__________________
I've been a huge fan of Mac OS X since 2001!
JoeG4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:02 AM   #82
Djlild7hina
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tokyo, Japan
My international galaxy s3 decided to die on me (motherboard problem) so I have to send it back to taiwan (where I bought it) to get it replaced. The Note 2 is really appealing and I'm really digging the titanium grey. LTE, faster quad-core, and 2gb of ram is a nice plus compared to the int s3 so tempted on selling mine when I get it replaced and upgrade. But by that time maybe the s4 will come out since idk when i'm ever going to get my s3 back. I remember trying the premium suite on my s3 and the multi-window seemed a little too small for the s3 and more ideal for the note 2.
I've had no problems with avi or mkv with mx player. plays everything I throw at it and plays stylized subs (anime fan) only problem is 1080p 10-bit mkv but no mobile device can really play those yet.
__________________
Silver iPhone 5S 64GB
Surface Pro 128GB Windows 8.1
Hackintosh | i7 | 16GB RAM | 256GB, 24TB RAID
Djlild7hina is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:10 AM   #83
RMXO
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Here's an Spen app that changes your handwriting into words when using the SPen. You have to be rooted & have a custom recovery like CWM or TWRP to flash or u can unzipped.

All the credit goes to the Dev that made the app.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=myscript+note

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djlild7hina View Post
I've had no problems with avi or mkv with mx player. plays everything I throw at it and plays stylized subs (anime fan) only problem is 1080p 10-bit mkv but no mobile device can really play those yet.
For mkv's & more, Dice Player is a good alternative. If u add libffmpeg.so to Dice, it will play all MKV's that other players can't. You can Google to find the file on XDA.

Pop up video player is called Stick It from the Google Playstore
__________________
Gaming i7 2600K | (Mid 2012) MacBook Pro 15" 2.7Ghz 16GB 750GB 650m | TMO Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Last edited by RMXO; Dec 30, 2012 at 02:20 AM.
RMXO is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:16 AM   #84
Jibbajabba
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by walie View Post
Hit the power button when playing the movie in the stock video player
Thanks .. learning something new every day ....
Jibbajabba is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:18 PM   #85
jrswizzle
macrumors 68040
 
jrswizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: McKinney, TX
I have an iP5 personally and an iP4S provided by my employer - while I won't give up my iP5 (too into the ecosystem and I actually love the device) I'm trying (subtly) to get my office to upgrade me to the Note 2.

I'd love to experience these innovative features of Samsung's firsthand
__________________
Apple: iPhone 5C, iPhone 5S
Android: Motorola Moto G
Windows: Nokia Lumia 520
Tablet: iPad mini retina, iPad Air
jrswizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 01:07 AM   #86
mib1800
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by phr0ze View Post

For these points specifically:
plug the phone to different itunes a/c will wipe the phone
False, I plug my iphone into my wifes computer to charge all the time.
Your phone will wipe if you sync with a different itunes a/c (whether it is cloud or pc). No such issues with adding multiple google a/c in Android.

Quote:
- you need itunes to get your data in/out of phone
False, I move data into and out of apps all the time over web. (ie, move a pdf from the web into ibooks, more a document from email into pages, take a document from pages and print or email, etc.)
Your assumption is you use cloud storages. For big files (like video etc) it is just not practical using cloud (waste battery and excessive data consumption)

Quote:
- reformat the master itunes PC and you are in trouble.
False, I upgraded from a Macbook Air to Macbook Pro this year and I had no issues.
If you don't iCloud (due to various reason like capped data/battery wastage) then what I said is true.
mib1800 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:30 AM   #87
phr0ze
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Columbia, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mib1800 View Post
Your phone will wipe if you sync with a different itunes a/c (whether it is cloud or pc). No such issues with adding multiple google a/c in Android..
You have changed what was said. It was originally said just by plugging in the phone is wiped. I stated that is false, which it is.



Quote:
Your assumption is you use cloud storages. For big files (like video etc) it is just not practical using cloud (waste battery and excessive data consumption).
Again you changed what was originally said. It was originally stated user data, not media. And I never assumed cloud storage, although that is an option.


Quote:
If you don't iCloud (due to various reason like capped data/battery wastage) then what I said is true.
No its not. I did not use any cloud storage for the migration between laptops.
__________________
2012 11" MBA i7/8/256
2011 Mac Mini with 27" Thunderbolt Display
Black iPad Air 64GB Verizon
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT
phr0ze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:53 AM   #88
Tinmania
macrumors 68030
 
Tinmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Aridzona
Quote:
Originally Posted by phr0ze View Post
You have changed what was said. It was originally said just by plugging in the phone is wiped. I stated that is false, which it is.
No need to take things so literally. Of course just charging an iPhone won't wipe it anymore than charging it with an a/c adapter will wipe it. I understood him to mean sync.

When it comes to iOS, there is only one partner when it comes to iTunes syncing. While that may or may not be a problem for many, it is not a good thing in my opinion.




Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC