Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fr3aky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
I'm using a 30" Dell monitor with my MBP running Lion 10.7.4, running through a DVI cable.

According to Dell's website, I should be able to have a max resolution of 2560x1600. However, my Mac's display prefs only show a max of 1920x1080.

Is there something I can do or add to get the 2560x1600?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
the duel link dvi cable ranges from 80 to 100 dollars depending on who made it. so its not cheap. that is the only way you can get max resolution though.

fr3aky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
awesome! thanks everyone for the replies, I completely overlooked the display port option. :-D

MacRumoren

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
Initially, I thought getting a mini-DP to DP cable is the solution too.

However, using this cable changes the output from the MBP from RGB to YPbPr which is introducing a "reddish" cast over the display on U3011.

I have even tried doing a calibration with X-rite's Hardware Calibration device i1Display Pro, the cast is somewhat reduced but it still remains.

Really annoying, not sure what the solution is now. I've also read on Apple Store's reviews that even the dual-link DVI cable doesn't work for Retina-MBP now.

FrozenPixel

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
MacRumoren, I also have a retina MBP and just upgraded to mountain lion today and am experiencing very similar problems to you with my Dell U3011.

Using both a mini-DP to DP and the HDMI cables I get a horrible pink cast over my entire screen when selecting RGB within the monitor settings. At this stage I can only get normal looking color if I select YPbPr. I have another Dell U3011 here to test and also get the exact same results. My old 2007 MBP running Lion continues to work fine on both monitors in RGB via DVI - DVI.

Haven't found any other information from others experiencing the same thing yet but if you find a fix, would love to hear from you. Will do the same if I come across something.

PS. Did you try connecting via DVI - DVI - Thunderbolt? I don't have that adapter and have been unable to try that so far.

Camicia

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
That pink cast is a Apple's "feature" so they can sell the $100 Dual Link adaptor or Thunderbolts monitors. They have a few of these kind of "features" that let them sell more and more stuff.

My next computer is going to be an Asus with Ubuntu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.