Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rk25123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
My Mac Pro (2009) sometimes makes a strange ciclic sound (seems something vibrating) which stops when I lightly knock on the front panel with a knuckle. I have no idea of what it could be, I thought it was a hard drive or a fan but they seem to run ok. I also cleaned the inside from dust but sometimes the noise starts again. Anyone has any idea of what it could be?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
Tighten the front panel up

Er, you can't. It is part of the case.

rk25123 - is it possible that it is one of the covers for the optical drive bays rattling? Maybe the graphics card resting on the bottom of the expansion bay?

I have to admit that fans and the HDD sleds are the most likely culprits.

rk25123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Tighten the front panel up

? How do I do that? Isn't it a single piece with the rest?

----------

Er, you can't. It is part of the case.

rk25123 - is it possible that it is one of the covers for the optical drive bays rattling? Maybe the graphics card resting on the bottom of the expansion bay?

I have to admit that fans and the HDD sleds are the most likely culprits.

I don't know but it could be since a very small stroke on the front is sufficient to make the noise stop. Next time it does that I'll check the covers! In the meantime I could try tightening every screw I can and see if that does the trick! Thanks for the help!

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
I'd try banging the front panel. But it's yours and you may be very gentle with your stuff, me?... well, is something stops making noise when i push it, I smack it.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
dont' know why it would stop with pressure on the front panel, but AFAIK by far the most common noise on the mac pro is vibration from the sleds. Putting a very small piece of paper or cardboard above the sled to keep it from moving will often stop it from happening.

Maybe helpful, IDK....

rk25123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Why are "stroking" your PC? :p

I don't! I confused the noun with the verb (english is not my mother language)! Actually I hit it! And I hit it because hitting your hardware is notoriously the number one universal procedure to solve any problem! :D

In truth the noise seemed a vibration coming from the front panel so I tried knocking on it and it stopped! It didn't do it anymore for some time now so maybe it solved itself. Thank you all for your suggestions!

----------

I'd try banging the front panel. But it's yours and you may be very gentle with your stuff, me?... well, is something stops making noise when i push it, I smack it.

Ahahahah! I'll definitely try that!

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I don't! I confused the noun with the verb (english is not my mother language)! Actually I hit it! And I hit it because hitting your hardware is notoriously the number one universal procedure to solve any problem! :D

In truth the noise seemed a vibration coming from the front panel so I tried knocking on it and it stopped! It didn't do it anymore for some time now so maybe it solved itself. Thank you all for your suggestions!

----------

Ahahahah! I'll definitely try that!

I prefer to use a hammer when I hit my HW :D

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
That's an easy fix; I bought a bunch of those felt pads (the ones you're suppose to stick to furniture, so it doesn't scratch the floors)—stick those to the Mac Pro fixed any of the vibration issues and buzzing sounds I had.

rk25123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
That's an easy fix; I bought a bunch of those felt pads (the ones you're suppose to stick to furniture, so it doesn't scratch the floors)—stick those to the Mac Pro fixed any of the vibration issues and buzzing sounds I had.

Thanks for the tip!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.