Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Hey guys I'm wondering, if a phone is dropped in water but the sensors don't go off, is the warranty still void for all problems? Or does a water drop void all warranty, whether its related or not?

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one around, who knows a tree fell?

I am saying if the senors didnt go off, who knows if the phone is water damaged?

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
California
It actually depends. If you dropped the phone in non-saltwater, there will be little to no residue left inside of the phone. However, if it took in salt water, there may be white residue on the inside that would indicate the phone was exposed to water. If there is residue, a quick cover up is to use some 99.9% isopropyl alcohol, and clean the visible parts of the phone's internals with a cotton swab.

Even if the phone is water damaged, you can easily find replacement stickers that you can put in, and no one would be able to tell the difference.

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
California
In other words, engage in warranty fraud. Tacky... Besides the Apple tech could still find evidence.

I am not condoning warranty fraud in any way, nor am I telling anyone to engage in warranty fraud... That is up to the person whose device is damaged, and their ethics when dealing with the situation. I am simply letting OP know what the options are, and what is on the market.

And although I do recommend being honest about an iPhone being water damaged, your statement that the Apple tech could still find out is wrong.

The reason they have the water damage indicators inside of the phone is so they can see if the indicators have been exposed to liquid (thereby changing color.) If the stickers do not change color, or are replaced with new water damage stickers, there is no indication of water damage.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I am not condoning warranty fraud in any way, nor am I telling anyone to engage in warranty fraud... That is up to the person whose device is damaged, and their ethics when dealing with the situation. I am simply letting OP know what the options are, and what is on the market.

And although I do recommend being honest about an iPhone being water damaged, your statement that the Apple tech could still find out is wrong.

The reason they have the water damage indicators inside of the phone is so they can see if the indicators have been exposed to liquid (thereby changing color.) If the stickers do not change color, or are replaced with new water damage stickers, there is no indication of water damage.

It's easy to spot a water damaged phone without the sensors. The sensors are only there as a guide for technicians.

If you have rust in your phone, or internal water marks, but white stickers, your warranty is still going to be void.

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
California
It's easy to spot a water damaged phone without the sensors. The sensors are only there as a guide for technicians.

If you have rust in your phone, or internal water marks, but white stickers, your warranty is still going to be void.

It will not rust overnight, which is why I recommended using 99% isopropyl alcohol to remove any corrosive residue left from water. If you clean the internals of water marks, and replace the stickers, the tech has no point of reference to say that the phone is water damaged.

This thread is getting away from my intent of just informing OP of his options. This is not about trying to lie to Apple about a phone being water damaged, although OP does have that option.

I do not condone warranty fraud, nor do I think it is ethical. But we all have our own mind, and own opinions.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
I dropped my iPhone 4 into a pan of boiling water (crazy bubbling water) and it recovered after about 1 hour... at first I thought it was dead, the power button kept going off and on, and the headphone socket thought it was plugged in always..., but after shaking out the water and leaving it... it was fine, then I worried rust would eventually kill it... but 1 year later it's still fine!

I'm assuming the extremely bubbling water created kind of a bubble preventing much if any water actually getting in very far.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I dropped my iPhone 4 into a pan of boiling water (crazy bubbling water) and it recovered after about 1 hour... at first I thought it was dead, the power button kept going off and on, and the headphone socket thought it was plugged in always..., but after shaking out the water and leaving it... it was fine, then I worried rust would eventually kill it... but 1 year later it's still fine!

I'm assuming the extremely bubbling water created kind of a bubble preventing much if any water actually getting in very far.

right...

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
In my experience with Apple, they rarely open the phone to check for water damage. I have taken my iPhone 5 in a few times (never dropped in water), and they never open the SIM tray to check the water sensor. If your sensors are white, I doubt they would look inside to further investigate.

I am not condoning warranty fraud like others have said above, but I am merely sharing my experiences with the water indicator stickers and Apple geniuses.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012

This is what I'm talking about, what if the water sensors are all good, but there is rust in the phone, and I'm having a NON-WATER related problem, such as software? DO they just assume that the only way my phone could have rust is if it was water dropped, and then reject my request for replacement even though the problem is unrelated to water?

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
California
This is what I'm talking about, what if the water sensors are all good, but there is rust in the phone, and I'm having a NON-WATER related problem, such as software? DO they just assume that the only way my phone could have rust is if it was water dropped, and then reject my request for replacement even though the problem is unrelated to water?

More than likely they would assume the rust was caused by water. However, as a previous poster said, it is unlikely that they will open the phone.

I'm sure you could plead your case with the genius if they say it was not caused by water, because you could say the sensors show no indication of being exposed to liquid.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

There's very few problems that cannot be caused by water.

And yes, your warranty would be void. To use a similar example, say you crash your car, but the airbags didn't go off. If your radio stopped working after the crash - would you take it back to the dealers before it had been repaired and expect them to replace the radio free of charge?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
DO they just assume that the only way my phone could have rust is if it was water dropped, and then reject my request for replacement even though the problem is unrelated to water?
It doesn't matter if it was "water dropped" or not. Rust is caused by water. Evidence of water damage is evidence of water damage regardless of the condition of the water damage indicators. You'd have the burden of proof to demonstrate that it was a software issue and even if you did prove your case, depending on the software issue it might be a warranty matter anyway.

If you want insurance coverage then buy insurance coverage. Otherwise, deal with the consequences of your accidental damage just like everyone else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.