Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Of course, it's a lot lot easier just to moan that there's a shutdown bug.

Easier still is to assert that because you don't have a problem that one doesn't exist and act like a raging jackwagon while doing so.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Sorry, but when people assert that there are universal problems caused by a shutdown bug when they are not aware of a) the true number of affected user, b) what the code is doing and c) extraneous factors

Sorry, but when people have done exactly what you just said and you have been too ignorant and lazy to find that out before spouting off, you need to take stock of your own arrogance.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
Easier still is to assert that because you don't have a problem that one doesn't exist and act like a raging jackwagon while doing so.

BTW Raging Jackwagon = another great band name....:D

----------

Sorry, but when people have done exactly what you just said and you have been too ignorant and lazy to find that out before spouting off, you need to take stock of your own arrogance.

He's just PO'd that his toaster went beserk and provided nothing but burnt muffins and prune jelly this morning........

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But, to go back to the earlier question, has anyone who has experienced slow shut downs with 10.8.1-10.8.3 applied the new beta and noticed any difference?

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Just to add, I do experience slow shutdowns in ML and have since 10.8.1. It's been better with 10.8.3 in that such incidents are less frequent. Sometimes my MBP shuts down immediately, sometimes it doesn't. Generously, I'd estimate 50/50.

My Core2 Duo iMac at work runs 10.6.8 and with a lot more software installed, it shuts down instantly 99 times out of 100.

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
OK, so which process is it that has the propensity to stall? Let's take it from there.
Time Machine when its having a sulk, such as
- Its given up (shows 'Backing up n of m' for hours where n and m never change) because its backing up two external drives and one has gone to sleep while its backing up the other
- If you start two (new) processes in quick succession while its 'cleaning up'
- If its been 'looking for the backup disk' for an hour plus
- If you have manually stopped it when any of the above are true
- In these cases only way to close down is pull the power plug
- And yes all reported to Apple

Mail
- Cancels the shutdown c5% of the time - note the word cancel - means you can't just tell the machine to shut down and walk away
- On no occasion has there been an incoming or outgoing mail for it to process
- Some argue this is "addressed" (see other threads) and is 'as designed' and so ok
- I argue that poor design is still poor design

ctakah

macrumors member
May 14, 2012
No shutdown lag here...

I just wanted to let everyone know that I haven't seen the slow shutdown issue on my rMBP and iMac on any stages of ML. I do put a lot of load on the machines – reboot rarely, creative suite with lots of PS & AE plugins, video editors, office software, 2 browsers with 10s of tabs open, a bunch of little helper programs in the menu bar, font server, ftp and afp/smb connections, email, always have a bunch of drives and other devices plugged into ports etc. I do have the facebook integration on but no icloud sync. Usually takes 4-8 sec to shut down, but I do, as a habit, always close all the applications that were running before I restart or shut down the machines. Even with all this other ballast from the screenshot it works well. Safari does struggle on videoblogs though... thx

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2013-05-06-at-3.16.19-AM.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2013-05-06-at-3.16.19-AM.jpg
    768.3 KB · Views: 112

mag01

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
I just wanted to let everyone know that I haven't seen the slow shutdown issue on my rMBP and iMac on any stages of ML...
I think nobody says it affects everyone without any exceptions. Though I'm also the one affected. 11" MBA 2012 and it doesn't matter whether I close all apps before shutdown or not, doesn't matter if I use the "reopen" option or not, or if I'm connected anywhere or completely offline...
In my case the processes that often don't terminate cleanly are:

com.apple.coreservices.appleevents
com.apple.securityd
com.apple.dock.extra

And while I'm able to set shorter ExitTimeOut for the first 2, I don't know where to find the right place for the 3rd one (tried several launch plists related to Dock but none of them worked for com.apple.dock.extra process).

It seems to be better with this 10.8.4 beta build but it's early to make any conclusions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.