Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:59 AM   #26
pmxperience
macrumors regular

Congrats to sim667

Thanks for the feedback and taking the responsibility of judging this week. It would seem that I have a very bad habit of taking all of my photos with a slight lean to the right.

Thinking of making it my signature.

cheers!
Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:09 AM   #27
acearchie
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmxperience View Post
Congrats to sim667

Thanks for the feedback and taking the responsibility of judging this week. It would seem that I have a very bad habit of taking all of my photos with a slight lean to the right.

cheers!
Everyone has a signature move/shot/trait! I see this as no bad one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDDavis View Post
acearchie The light is wonderful. The models stare into the camera is great. The composition of everything in the room works really well with the square format to me. My one criticism is the dust on the print. I'm assuming that this is one from your film camera. Normally that "acearchie" feel to a picture is very intriguing. For whatever reason in this one I'm distracted by the spots around the models face and hair.
Thanks for the feedback. I've been pressed for time recently and of the 80 or so 120 shots I took during this trip and the 180 35mm shots I have only had time to process two! And as you have mentioned slightly missed the mark on one of them!

When I get another pass at it in PS I will clean it up a bit more.

Thanks again and I look forward to next week.
acearchie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:20 AM   #28
JDDavis
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmxperience View Post
Congrats to sim667

cheers!
LOL. I recognize it becuase I struggle with it greatly. I am a confirmed right leaner. Most of the time I end up fixing it in post but I'm better now because I'm so aware of it. The reason it stands out to me on your shot is because everything is so symmetrical. I think it's a great POV though.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:49 AM   #29
jabbott
macrumors 6502

Quote:
jabbot Nicely done. The square format works well with this landscape and it's nicely composed. I like the light on the cliff face of the mountain. I know you couldn't really control it but the trees in the foreground detract a little from the main subject for me. I wonder what the image was like from the waters edge?
Thanks for the helpful judging, JDDavis. I ended up posting the more dense version of Loch Vale as I had cropped it square a couple weeks prior to the contest announcement. The other views I captured weren't as conducive to the square format in my opinion. Here is what the view looks like from the waters edge:

jabbott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:37 PM   #30
Schtumple
macrumors 601

see vendor information in user profile
Send a message via Skype™ to Schtumple
Quote:
<judging stuff>
Cheers JDDavis! My submission is actually a huge panorama, it was all shot at 50mm, the final composition is about 20k x 20k.

Congrats to sim667 for winning, fantastic shot, definitely well deserved, looking forward to the new contest.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:38 PM   #31
someoldguy
macrumors 6502a

Congrats to the winners and thanks JDDavis for taking the time to critique .
Gonna try to find that building when I'm in the Bay area in a couple of weeks and try your suggestion for a morning or evening shot ,or maybe I'll get lucky and SF will have clear skies !!
someoldguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:37 PM   #32
Apple fanboy
macrumors 68040

Quote:

Apple fanboy That rubiks cube is more my speed. It's interesting because I haven't figured out exactly how you shot this. Is it resting on something? Looks like maybe two images combined into one piece?
Thanks for the feedback. I've been quite ill this week so I couldn't get out and about. Being quite new I don't have a big collection of stock images.
My original idea was going to take a Rubik's cube somewhere interesting. As it turned out I took a picture of my kitchen tiles and took out the colour using the Perect photo suit 7.5 from Onone and added a layer of the cube which I shot on some paper in my lounge and removed the background using the same software.
It was a bit of a lazy edit, but I quite liked the end result.
Looking forward to the next challenge as I still have lots to learn!

Last edited by Apple fanboy; Jul 19, 2013 at 06:01 PM.
Apple fanboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:54 PM   #33
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I've been quite ill this week so I couldn't get out and about. Being quite new I don't have a big collection of stock images.
My original idea was going to take a Rubik's cube somewhere interesting. As it turned out I took a picture of my kitchen tiles and took out the colour using the Perect photo suit 7.5 from Onone and added a layer of the cube which I shot on some paper in my lounge and removed the background using the same software.
It was a bit of a lazy edit, but I quite licked the end result.
Looking forward to the next challenge as I still have lots to learn!
Well no wonder you were sick - you shouldn't be licking your images.
Laird Knox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:03 PM   #34
Apple fanboy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Knox View Post
Well no wonder you were sick - you shouldn't be licking your images.
Lol thanks for that. Funny thing is its a mouth infection that I have!
Spelling has never been my thing.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 08:07 PM   #35
dmax35
macrumors 6502

Congrats to the winners.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 09:43 AM   #36
Apple fanboy
macrumors 68040

Anybody heard from sim667 since the winners were announced? Shouldn't we be on the next theme buy now?
Old Jul 21, 2013, 03:47 PM   #37
deep diver
macrumors 6502a

I just PMed Schtumple. As the 2nd place winner, it is on him to post the new theme.
deep diver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 07:44 PM   #38
JDDavis
macrumors 6502a

I PM'd sim667 yesterday and have had no response. I agree...it's on to Schtumple now.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:51 AM   #39
sagar4995
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
sagar4995 I like the format for this shot. I do like the isolated color in a B&W (I think there's a name for this?) I can't explain it but the placement of the colored donuts in the bottom left doesn't work for me. My eye keeps going to where the choco frosted ones are.
thanks for the review. i too am not too sure what these types of pictures (isolated color in a B&W) are called. im still a newbie to mobile photography.
Instagram ID - SagarChablani
sagar4995 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 06:01 AM   #40
Schtumple
macrumors 601

see vendor information in user profile
Send a message via Skype™ to Schtumple
New contest is up! This week it's: Techniques/Manipulation
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:40 PM   #41
sim667
macrumors 6502a

I'm really sorry everyone, I've barely been on the internet for a while.

Really appreciate being chosen as the winner, and glad schtumple got to pick the next contest...

Maybe Ill turn PM email notifications on

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography