Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Solamar22

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
x
NOT Apple Supported

WARNING: The Mag Safe Adapter, even by itself, is NOT supported by Apple.

If your MagSafe cord fails to disattach from being pulled, Apple will tell you that you are NOT using a valid cord with the Retina MacBook, and that you must use the T adapter. They will not support use of the MagSafe 2 Converter!

Use of a leash like this makes it even worse.

Take it from me. Mine failed to disconnect, and the cable came apart, leaving me with a limping puppy and a callous Apple who did not care at all! I was kind of shocked at the treatment I received from the Genius bar.

Do NOT use the MagSafe 2 Converter!

bbbobbb

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
Hey Peeps,

Ben here, I was the dude who came up with that little widget.

There are lots of good points out there pro and con.

Apple made the MagSafe2 Port to make the slimmer computers we all want. Once upon a time in DC I used to work at an Apple Retail store where back in the days of the G3 and G4 iBooks and Power books that center pin (looked like a headphone jack) used to get broken off in the computers all the time. New adapter and laptop used to have to be taken apart. Hard times for everybody. So MagSafe is a welcome addition, evolution to the second version is kind of a pain though.

Honestly I am not trying to make much money off this, trying to build it in a semi-small scale with high fidelity and shipping adds up :-( Hence at the second reward point you get three MagCozys! I had the idea last August when I lost one of those pretty shiny metal adapters. But I took a job in a far off land that didn't work out and got distracted from this project. Better late then never right?

Keybit I think is a beautiful elegant solution! I just don't like carrying more things on my keychain. Also I am not a fan of a solution that costs more than the part itself :-o

Hope people might find it useful. Hit me up with any questions.

-Ben

For the record, I just pledged my 8$.

But here is my problem, for $2 more I can buy a whole 'nother adapter....shipped free, no tax. Hmmmm.

Any way to work the spreadsheet to make it sell for $5 instead of $8?

rajid

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
Wide rubberband is cheaper

My wife made one of these from a wide rubber band quite a long time back. Just use scissors to cut two slots in the rubber band, one goes over the end of the charger cord and the other goes around the adapter. Simple. Cheap. Has been working well on multiple adapters around my house for many, many months.

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
Edit: As the creator has posted on this thread, I want to apologize if my comment was/is offensive. It was a remark about consumerism in general and not meant to disrespect you or your idea and meant partly in jest. Certainly there is a market for your idea and there are people who would benefit from it. I wish you luck in your endeavor as more people are using other avenues in this tougher economy, pushing people to be more creative and taking more risks. This will allow others to do the same, and will absolutely benefit us long term. Who knows when the next "big thing" will change the world again.
Dude, you sound like your mum has told you off and made you apologise. You completely backtrack on what you have previously said. If you are going to do this and try and make yourself look better by apologising when he finds out, why bother posting in the first place? :confused:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Dude, you sound like your mum has told you off and made you apologise. You completely backtrack on what you have previously said. If you are going to do this and try and make yourself look better by apologising when he finds out, why bother posting in the first place? :confused:

I'm sorry, how did I backtrack? My post didn't change, merely added to it. If being respectful to someone means my "mum" told me to, then, ok (btw I'm 36, my "mum" hasn't had any say in my life for a long time, don't know what she has to do with this). I didn't change my opinion. I don't care what anyone here thinks of me, so why do you, dude?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I would class this as backtracking.
When I said about being told off, I wasn't trying to say you are a kid, more that the post sounded like the voice of a child to me, that was a bit unclear.

Ok, I suppose the question remains, why do you care? Move on, like this. :rolleyes:

DrDooWop

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
The need to provide a similar leash to hold the plug that you snap out of the other end of the adapter when you want to use the extension cord.

bmartinek

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
For the record, I just pledged my 8$.

But here is my problem, for $2 more I can buy a whole 'nother adapter....shipped free, no tax. Hmmmm.

Any way to work the spreadsheet to make it sell for $5 instead of $8?

Honestly I wish I could, and this will depend on vendors and fulfillment. The initial run of a physical product is always $$$. Kickstarter itself is a bit more about philanthropy as opposed to having a final product. More of a boutique shop.

Individual part cost estimates have come close to $2 a piece! I was shocked! But to get good quality for a low production run it comes with the territory. We'll see what I can do.

@Bedifferent no offense taken.

@Roland.G If you have a manufacturer you'd like to set me up with I am all ears :)

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
In what scenario would you actually need to use the converter?

Remember all the controversy when Apple introduced Magsafe 2, because their most enthusiastic customers didn't want to buy Retina MBPs because of their investment in Magsafe 1. Long story short, many of us use our laptops in a very mobile way, but don't want to have to break down and set up everything every time we use our laptop, then unplug everything and put it all away again. Even within my own house, I use my laptop in at least 3 locations. Apple never created an official laptop dock, but one thing that helps a lot is having Magsafe plugs ready to use at any location we'd be using our Macbook. Notice, Apple even suggests buying a second magsafe chord when you buy your computer online. The only person I can think of that would be happy with just one is someone who uses their laptop like a desktop - it never leaves their desk.

As a result, I personally have over a dozen of those $85 Magsafe plugs, and believe me, I did NOT want to replace them all because I got a 2012 MBP. Not to mention I still use several 2010 MBPs that need the old plug, and I don't want to deal with two plugs in every location. That's why Apple, even in 2015, is still selling those $10 adapters.

I suppose eventually I'll have switched over completely to native Magsafe 2 plugs, but that'll be like 5 years from now, and by then, something like USB C will have taken over.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.