Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SVTROX

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2012
Deleting AdobeResourceSynchronizer Through Accounts

After reading a few forums I used the following method to delete AdobeResourceSynchronizer. Open System Preferences then Accounts then Login Items then select AdobeResourceSynchronizer. First, Uncheck it so that it will not reopen (from Trash) upon Restarting. Then hold down control/click or right/click and a "reveal in finder" option appears. Click on it and the app appears, without having to go through more complicated ways of finding it. Again control/click or right/click and send it to the Trash. "Restart" your system, go to Trash and Empty it. I went back into Accounts Login Items and AdobeResourceSynchronizer was still in the list. "Unknown" appeared in the "Kind" column to the right. As a final Goodbye to AdobeResourceSynchronizer (at least for now) I clicked on it and hit the "-" button at the bottom of the list to remove the word "AdobeResourceSynchronizer" from the List of Login Items. I will probably have to do this again if I am prompted to update Reader or Flash or some other Adobe Bloatware item. Why can't Adobe fix this? Are they unaware of it? (I doubt it.) I have read elsewhere that this program is supposed to keep track of updates to documents (not sure what kind(s) of documents but probably .pfd) if more than one user on a network is changing a particular document to ensure that changes are not inadvertently Not Saved. Sounds like it could be useful (not to me) in certain circumstances ... but why would such a simple objective require 80% of your CPU?? Obviously it doesn't, so some sort of unexpected (to Adobe) loop or weird processing takes place. If it IS a useful function, surely they can FIX IT.

jahala

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
AdobeResourceSynchronizer is used to facilitate functionality called Shared Review in Acrobat and Reader. The basic idea of a shared review is that someone creates a shared review PDF file which has an invisible pointer on the first page to a server somewhere. That server is used to store any annotations (comments or markups) to that pdf file in per-user folders. The AdobeResourceSynchronizer periodically checks that server for new comments made by other users so that the PDF file on your screen can be updated.

Those who participate in shared reviews know who they are. If this sounds unfamiliar, then you probably don't need AdobeResourceSynchronizer. I do participate in Shared Reviews, though. I found that if I delete it and then try to open a Shared Review file, Acrobat will immediately crash and then be rendered completely unusable, even for regular PDF files, until AdobeResourceSynchronizer is installed correctly again. So if my fans starting running loudly, I use Activity Monitor to send a Kill signal to the AdobeResourceSynchronizer process. i wish Adobe would fix this. The problem seems new to Mavericks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.