Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gharris129

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
i have an ipad 2 i bought for my son refurbished game stop if it matters it was ios 4. whatever. he has had it since christmas no issues we plugged it into the computer today so he could sync to my tunes. a mesage popped up telling me he was due for an update. it told me to back up his files so i copied all the photos on his ipad to my desktop. no issue. it clicked whatever to start the download and walked away to flip the laundry when i came back it was a black screen with a silver apple. Please tell me this thing isnt bricked...

tried this seems to be working:

-Plug your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad into your Mac or Windows PC and make sure iTunes is running.
-Hold down both the Sleep Button (on top of your device) and the Home Button (on the front underneath the screen).
-Keep them both held down from about 10 seconds. (If you see the Apple logo, you've held them too long and will need to start again.)
-Let go of the Sleep Button but keep holding the Home Button for about 5 seconds. (If you see the "Plus into iTunes" screen than you held it too long and will need to start again.)
-If the screen stays black, that's it! Your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad should now be in DFU mode.

Last edited:

Devlin234

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
Did you unplug it while it was updating? After you click update it is supposed go to a black screen with the apple logo... But if you unplug before it's finished it probably would get bricked. And to fix it you would have to restore it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.