Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old May 11, 2013, 12:45 PM   #1
Futhark
macrumors 6502a

OS X Mountain Lion Setup

Ok I've purchased a Mac Mini purely to be used as a server, On Startup it wants me to create a user, if I use my name and password the same as I have for my MacBook Pro surely I will have 2 of me showing up or how should I set this up to prevent this happening?
Futhark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 07:12 AM   #2
mwhities
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
If you are going to setup the server with OD, I'd use a different name. I use something like "sadmin", "serveradmin", and others. Use that as the default admin account.

Then create your user network account.
Old May 16, 2013, 12:09 AM   #3
rlkarren
macrumors newbie

The first user on any setup is a local user with Admin privileges. You may use the same username and password on your mini as it is only a local user. You wouldn't necessarily have "two of you showing up", but you have two accounts, each on a different machine that happen to have the same username and password.

It would be best if that first user on your Mac Mini, be something unique and specific to that machine, with a very complicated password. Then, you have a few options:

1. Enable the Open Directory in Server.app and create an account for yourself and give yourself admin privileges.

2. Create another local user for yourself and give yourself Admin privileges.

3. Just use the admin user you created for server connections.

I use option #2, and never log in using my initial Admin account unless I absolutely have to. I do everything as the 2nd Local Admin account I created for myself.

rlk
rlkarren is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking