Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
We are going a bit off topic here so my last post on this.

If you google you get just normal cables mostly, in my job when we needed a crossover we really asked for a crossover and not patch cable.
I think crossovers gets rarely used now, it in my opinion was a stupid invention, why make it hard when you can do it easy:confused:

Well, because years ago NIC's weren't smart enough to figure it out without a crossover cable, AND, routers and hubs were really expensive! More for home networking and small use cases than anything enterprise. I've actually seen people 'daisy chain' computers with dual NIC's and crossover cables. Ludicrous now when an 8 port gigabit switch is 10 bucks, but back then...

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
You actually don't need a patch cable with a MacBook Pro, it will automatically reconfigure the ethernet ports to work with any ethernet cable to link two MacBooks together.

But you're right, migration assistant will work just fine using ethernet vs FW800. In theory gigabit ethernet is faster, though I'm not sure which (FW800 or GbE) will actually end up working faster.

Gig-E is faster in real terms too. This is the solution for the OP she most likely doesn't have a FW cable nor a TB to FW adapter. She'd still need a TB to Gig-E but that is more useful going forward.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Gig-E is faster in real terms too. This is the solution for the OP she most likely doesn't have a FW cable nor a TB to FW adapter. She'd still need a TB to Gig-E but that is more useful going forward.

Oh okay. I wasn't sure. USB 2.0 is 480mbps but 400mbps FireWire 400 is faster in large data transfers, so I wasn't sure if FW800 had an efficiency advantage over GbE. I know I don't actually get 1000 megabits per second over my GbE network, close, but not quite. Although that could definitely be due to network overhead and cheap equipment!

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Oh okay. I wasn't sure. USB 2.0 is 480mbps but 400mbps FireWire 400 is faster in large data transfers, so I wasn't sure if FW800 had an efficiency advantage over GbE. I know I don't actually get 1000 megabits per second over my GbE network, close, but not quite. Although that could definitely be due to network overhead and cheap equipment!

I keep my MBP and MP in sync a humble ethernet cable..I don't have exact stats but after using FW 400/800 and ethernet, ethernet is significantly faster but I can't quantify it.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I keep my MBP and MP in sync a humble ethernet cable..I don't have exact stats but after using FW 400/800 and ethernet, ethernet is significantly faster but I can't quantify it.

I suppose it would make sense. As I understand it, one of the advantages FireWire has is that's it's 'smarter' with controllers and both ends, and is a little bit closer to a networking device than a peripheral device. Ethernet also has a controller (NIC) at both ends, and IS a networking device!

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Do you all want this thread to stay on the board/forum? I could request to close it. I don't have that MBP anymore.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Holy cow, there was MORE?!?!!!?

The top case and microphone, too. (That was new problems to me.) So in total it was

the top case
the keyboard
the logic board
the microphone cable

Everything but the logic board was a surprise. I don't think the optical drive was even mentioned. The slot drive wasn't even mentioned. So I am wondering. I am supposed to call tomorrow to finish one last step. (I forgot what the man said I had to still do.)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
The top case and microphone, too. (That was new problems to me.) So in total it was

the top case
the keyboard
the logic board
the microphone cable

Everything but the logic board was a surprise. I don't think the optical drive was even mentioned. The slot drive wasn't even mentioned. So I am wondering. I am supposed to call tomorrow to finish one last step. (I forgot what the man said I had to still do.)

So, essentially a whole new computer.:eek:

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
So, essentially a whole new computer.:eek:

I'm so happy to have what I have now. I think my dad really wants my old one. I just have to read up on how to keep this MBP from the same thing that nearly killed (for lack of a better word) my old MBP. It had a LOT of errors.

What causes the errors, does anyone know?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I'm so happy to have what I have now. I think my dad really wants my old one. I just have to read up on how to keep this MBP from the same thing that nearly killed (for lack of a better word) my old MBP. It had a LOT of errors.

What causes the errors, does anyone know?

Liquid, humidity maybe, or just real bad luck.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Liquid, humidity maybe, or just real bad luck.

I am very careful never to have any kind of liquid near anything electronic now... I guess that means no more hot humid days on my back deck.

Thank you for the information. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.