Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sholzer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
I've recently caught an itch to upgrade my mid-2010 MBP. I've recently upgraded the RAM to 8GB and installed an SSD with a new image of OSX 10.8.4 with the OEM HDD mounted in place of the super drive, but it hasn't been enough. So my first question is what could I realistically expect to get for it. It's the 15" 2.4GHz i5, 8gb ram, 128GB ssd (samsung 840 pro), 320GB HDD for storage, in pretty good condition, only a little wear on the opening indent, and wear my right wrist rests, no scratches or anything like that.
Now if I were to sell it, I'd replace it with either a refurbished base 15" rMBP or a 2013 13" MBA. I was pretty set on wanting the rMBP (some people at my work have them and the slightly smaller size and less weight make my computer feel outdated), but with the new MBA upgrades, it has definitely peaked my interest. What could I reasonably expect to get for it if I were to sell it?

As far as my computer usage goes, I'm a college student (Economics major), so no graphic heavy school work or anything like that. It will be my main computer and will be mostly used for web browsing, word processing, and occasional photo and video editing and occasional gaming. I would also like to run a VM (or bootcamp) with a linux image, as I'm having to use it more frequently with my current job and would like to get more familiar with Ubuntu. I also will be occasionally transporting the computer back and forth around campus and my job so portability isn't the biggest concern, but it does have some merit. I'd say 90% of the time, I am at a desk of some sort (work, school, or at home).

I really like the portability, size, and battery life of the MBA, but I'm also worried about only having a 13" screen for my only computer after having my 15" MBP for the last 3 years and a 17" laptop before that. I'm also not sure if the MBA will be sufficient to run a VM. The display and power of the rMBP is what draws me toward that.

What do you all think would best suit my needs if I were to upgrade and/or is it even worth it?
Thanks!

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
You should go to eBay and see what similar models have sold for.

As for your needs, only you can decide that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.