Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
If there is one area where I am disappointed with Apple personally, it has to do with their batteries. I have a Blackbook 2.4GHz and had the battery replaced by Apple after only around 100 cycles on it because it was bulging. They replaced the battery under warranty but after one year and 100 cycles on the Apple replacement, it also started bulging, and I was told it was my problem because it had already been replaced. I need a new battery now and may have to buy one until I can afford a new Mac. It seems to me that there is a problem with Apple's method of charging these batteries.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
At some point you have to stand back and ask yourself whether you've reached the point that you're putting more money into it than it is actually worth - do you just keep throwing money at it whilst ignoring the costs that are accruing?

Yes, I assess the cost-value everytime a new MacBook comes out. My 2006 white macbook is still very fast, surfs the web fine, is good for documents, runs Eclipse for development just fine. It's not noticably slower than my Windows PC at work.

I can't upgrade beyond Snow Leopard, but there's nothing compelling for me to upgrade to yet. I also have a 2011 Mac Mini at home I can do things that the MacBook can't, like rip DVDs at a decent speed, and is used as a server for my AppleTV. So, I guess since I have the desktop, my laptop does not need to be 'everything'. This might be why I'm still okay with a 2006 laptop.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
MMMMM, reliable Apple Batteries, are you guys kidding?

My BlackBook has an original Apple battery which has blown up (expanded) to the point where it interferes with the track pad operation.

Not a shock that a battery only designed to last two years is expanding when it's four years old.

I recall Apple batteries being responsible for a number of MacBooks catching alight in the past.

Proof. How may cases, confirmation of it being an Apple battery and there was no mishandling by anyone.

Or is this going to be another 'iPhone almost explodes on flight' where it turns out the issue was that the owner had the phone repaired outside of Apple and the 'expert' lost a screw under the battery.

----------

If the machine is under warranty, then the battery as well as anything that was affected by it (trackpad and/or top case typically) then that would also be replaced.

That might have been true when you were there but it's not now. Now, if the battery is 'consumed' and naturally then it is not covered warranty. I took in 3 laptops all between 2.5-3 years old under Apple Care and had to pay for all 3 battery replacements because they were simply used up, not faulty. It's in the terms and conditions for service even

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Poor business practices, crappy third-party products, very few employees actually know the products they sell, disorganized store layout, just to name a few.

Care to dig a little deeper into the poor business practices part?

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Concerning batteries, my MacBook (which I still own and use) had a bulged battery a mere 9 months after receiving it. I shrugged it off but had it replaced in 2011 because it affected trackpad usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.