Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

black743

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2010
Huntington, WV
I opened my Macbook Air and the screen just turned to static snow. I opened and closed it a couple times to make it stop.

Has anyone experienced this? Is this anything to be concerned about?

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Yes. Has happened to me twice with my 2010 MBA 13" OS 10.7.4. A restart fixed it so I thought it was probably a software issue.

sensescb

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
Please read this!

Please tell me if you found out what the problem is, or if you found any solution about this problem. I've experienced this too on my macbook air, and i have no clue what to do, cause the garanty for free fix just stopped this christmas.
Best regards

sensescb

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
d

Does this mean this is far more severe than i actually thought it would be? Is it necessary to make a big deal out of it? couldnt it just be a software problem and not hardware? what did you do? thank you so much for your reply

Stingray454

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
Could be a hardware issue. I'd try re-installing OS X (first make a time machine backup first so you can re-install everything as it was) and see if the problem goes away. If not, get it exchanged asap if you still can.

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Without any information about your machine and OS version the only important thing to do very quickly is to contact AppleCare so that you will have their support if it is a hardware issue.

durruti

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2004
Jersey
this happens to my mba 13" 2012 i5 once in a while, after waking from sleep, when connected to external Dell U2312HM Display. I'd say once every 3-4 weeks. After a few moments, it goes away.

I remember reading something similar happening on mac minis, and the issue was with the HDMI out. This being thunderbolt-out, not sure if it's related.

Anyone with more info. care to share?

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Had this happen to my late 2010 13" MBA yesterday on wake from sleep. Did SHIFT+CMD+Q to log out, but the display was still snowy like bad reception on TVs of old. A restart cured it, for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.