Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneelolivaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
i have an apple tv 3 connected to a tp link wr841n router, and sometimes when i stream 720p/1080p contents (videos,podcasts,etc.) it doesn't work really well. do you think changing to an airport express would solve my problem?

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
Probably not, unless you are able to place it closer to the ATV. The bottleneck is more likely to be your ISP than your internal WiFi.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
your router is probably better than an airport express.
apple's networking gear aren't magin, in fact there are a lot of other much better routers out there.

if you can't figure out a way to make your wifi signal better (change the channel, clean up sources of interference, etc..) your money would probably be better spent on a pair of powerline networking adapters than an airport express.

although the best option is always wired ethernet.

and as Panch0 said, it's probably your internet connection.

Titanium81

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2011
I have an Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station, and I have to say it works very well with Apple products. I've heard of guys with windows only setups that still get this router because of it speed and range and simple setup.

matspekkie

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2010
i have an apple tv 3 connected to a tp link wr841n router, and sometimes when i stream 720p/1080p contents (videos,podcasts,etc.) it doesn't work really well. do you think changing to an airport express would solve my problem?

I have had several routers and I settled a while back with an AirPort Extreme.
The performance is great and never fails to work. another big advantage is that is has simultanious dual band 802.11 a (5ghz) & (2,4ghz) band. This is faster lower ping times better bandwidth and less problematic in crowded area's. the downside of 5 ghz is it's worse range.
I find the express (old version) to perform a little worse as expected and mostly this has to do with only having a 100 MB/s uplink LAN port.
In short apple routers are easy expandable reliable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.