Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raniel

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Ph
People were aware it wasn't VESA compatible when they bought it.

----------

1. This is an all in one, not a monitor.

2. They are welding a piece of metal onto an existing iMac. That's not free.

I do wish that VESA compatibility was standard and you could switch between the stand and the wall mount, but this is a decent option for those who need it.
I don't agree that people were aware that it wasn't vesa compatible, most probably assumed its the same as the previous generation

jennyp

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Does anyone know if it's possible to fit a Vesa mount, via some kit adaptor, to a 2011 27" iMac, so that the display is lowered and the top tilted back, like a typical laptop screen orientation (i.e., so you effectively look down on the display)?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I posted mine back in 2011. I was worried that when they said the new ones were not compatible that it would affect my upgrade path in 2-3 years. This is certainly good news though I use my optical drive enough that I'm not thrilled at the idea of an external optical drive.

I am however, looking forward to an iMac that weighs 10 lbs less. My iMac is around 28-30 bs with the stand removed and the VESA adapter. These new ones are 19.2 without a stand. That moves around on an articulating arm more fluidly.

Here are some pics. I have a Humanscale M8.
BTW, both my arm which is wall-mounted and some of the other big players in articulating and swivel arms do make desk mounts and you usually order one or the other. So anyone getting this iMac could easily switch to a "stand" by getting the desk clamp mount for their arm down the line.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
I don't agree that people were aware that it wasn't vesa compatible, most probably assumed its the same as the previous generation

Considering it needed an adapter, I think it would be natural for people to check if the new one needed and had such an adapter. Anyone who was interested in VESA mounting at least.

In either case, the specs weren't private.

----------

The problem is that Apple was very vague at pre-order time on whether or not the new iMac was VESA Compatible.

So the first batch of buyers didn't know it wasn't compatible, and probably assumed it was since previous 27" iMacs were. I did, until it came to light that the stand didn't come off.

I realize this isn't the end of the world, but it is yet another example, of either a) Apple screwing people, or b) Apple not having their act together on a product launch, or c) All of the Above.

Or d) people making poor assumptions.

I don't remember the pre-order stage so I can't really debate what was there. The specs page surely was though, and if it didn't list VESA compatibility, those people pre-ordering could have done something sensible, like ask....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.