Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
hey all, i'm considering doing this, but i just wanted some feedback from people who have done it or know a bit about it. this is the link i'm looking at now:

http://training.apple.com.au/certification

is this the best way to go? does apple offer any other certificates or are these the only ones?

are there any for iOS? i couldn't find any.

thanks

edit: not sure where this should go on the forum.

goRoostr

macrumors member
May 17, 2012
Philadelphia Suburbs
Ive been through the Hardware and a few Software Certifications... What type of Certs are looking at, OS X Lion or Apps? Because Mountain Lion is coming soon, and they usually update the Certs about 1-3 months after the new OS comes out. So I would wait a little bit so your not outdated right away. Peachpit press is the publisher of Apple training books. I prefer buying the physical book, studying, and when I'm ready I go to a nearby training center to take the test( tests are a very similar format to Microsoft and other Cert tests). PM me if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I've got the ACSP 10.6 and 10.7 certifications, and I'm going for my ACTC 10.7 soon (once I get the book from a coworker who just finished the test). They're not tough if you're familiar with the system, although I definitely recommend getting the Peachpit Press book for whichever test you want to take and studying it.

jW

Kasalic

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2011
Done the Snow Leopard Support and Lion Server certs, I'd agree that the books are vital, but so is real world experience. Nothing like doing your first real Mac Server install ! :)

chipchen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2002
I passed a few exams and was certified several years ago (about 2005) but have since let my certifications expire.

Apparently the tests have gotten REALLY easy so long as you're good at reading books though... cause I knew a guy who knew NOTHING about Macs except how to turn it on.. and read some of my PeachPit Press books and passed... Still can't troubleshoot for crap, but passed.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Just out of curiosity, what do those of you do with your certifications? Do you use them to earn money, did you take them just to further your own knowledge?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Just out of curiosity, what do those of you do with your certifications? Do you use them to earn money, did you take them just to further your own knowledge?

I'm an Apple consultant, so my certifications are intended to give my customers confidence in my abilities, plus they qualify me for the Apple Consultants Network that I'm still working on getting into. I wouldn't recommend them for someone just looking to further their own knowledge, there are cheaper and easier ways to do that.

jW

actc107

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
Just got my ACTC 10.7 certification two weeks ago. I am required by the company since we are an Apple products reseller and I'm a tech guy. I'm a Mac user too and it's pretty interesting that there's a lot more to know about the Mac especially on the server side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.