Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
There's Monolingual, similar to Xslimmer but only removes whatever languages you do not need, it's free.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/7758/monolingual (click on the Download Older Version link for the PPC version)

And then there is TrimTheFat, which I've never used but it's also free.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/20404/trimthefat

Monolingual supports binary stripping too. The only advantage Xslimmer has is the streamlined UI and some extra features like backups and blacklisting etc.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Monolingual supports binary stripping too. The only advantage Xslimmer has is the streamlined UI and some extra features like backups and blacklisting etc.

xSlimmer is a lot less likely to mess up apps than Monolingual, even though you should be making backups in both cases.

For gaming, emulating old consoles will probably cost the least money and you'll have good performance without having to worry about speed :)

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
Ok so it looks like id be safer with xslimmer, ill stick with that. I dont really wanna emulate though, i enjoy games like halo, doom, cod, hl2. I like futuristic science fiction games that are first person shooters. I cant seem to find anything on pure mac so far.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Ok so it looks like id be safer with xslimmer, ill stick with that. I dont really wanna emulate though, i enjoy games like halo, doom, cod, hl2. I like futuristic science fiction games that are first person shooters. I cant seem to find anything on pure mac so far.

Macintosh Garden?

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011

Halo and Doom will both run on PPC, COD4+ are Intel-only I'm afraid (not sure about the others). For Half-Life you will only be able to run the original, for which you have two options: 1. Using Xash3D (GoldSrc engine remake), 2. Using a Quake engine (GoldSrc was a heavily modified Quake variant - will probably be very buggy). Note I'm not sure that Xash3D has been officially ported to Mac, so you might not be able to find a working copy.

The original Deus Ex was ported to Mac - definitely check this one out! Unreal Tournament 2K4 is a must, as is Quake (1-4 all work on Mac, although you'll struggle to run Quake 4).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
No lemon pledge? No seriously.

----------

If anyone wants it i found an ftp client. http://cyberduck.ch/
Some others… Transmit. Forklift (as part of the app). Fetch. Fetch version 3.x runs on OSX and is free. Versions from 4.x on are paid.

I used to swear by Fetch, but Cyberduck is much easier and operates very similarly to the Finder. Note that Transmit and Forklift are not free, but Cyberduck is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.