Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I'm looking for some FPS recommendations as I'm going to buy a 13"rMBP later this week. Basically, I want a game that's as close to "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" as possible. That means relatively easy gameplay with excellent multiplayer functionality, and something that isn't going to cripple the GPU.

RtCW was the only computer game that I ever truly enjoyed. I don't think it's available for Macs anymore, hence my request. I bought COD4 a while back for my current computer, but it taxed the GPU too much (horrible frame rate) and the gameplay was just too damn fast! I got killed repeatedly without knowing what happened, while some prepubescent bastards talked **** the entire time. Not my idea of fun!

Anyway, I'd really appreciate your recommendations. This will be the only game I buy/play, so make those recommendations count!

Thanks.

P.S. I lied, I liked one other computer game: Zork Grand Inquisitor. Fack, I feel old.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Call of Duty and Call of Duty 2 would probably be good choices. It has been a while but I recall the original Call of Duty still had people playing online. I'd expect both games still do where they were so popular and fun to play but maybe somebody else with more recent experience can chime in about that. Neither game should be too demanding on your system yet both look nice. The original CoD as you may recall came out not too long after RtCW.

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Call of Duty and Call of Duty 2 would probably be good choices. It has been a while but I recall the original Call of Duty still had people playing online. I'd expect both games still do where they were so popular and fun to play but maybe somebody else with more recent experience can chime in about that. Neither game should be too demanding on your system yet both look nice. The original CoD as you may recall came out not too long after RtCW.

Thanks, but after my experience with COD4, I'm not sure if the other COD games would be a good choice. The biggest problem wasn't the minimum system requirements, but the sheer speed at which the game is played. Maybe it's my aging eyes, but I literally couldn't keep up with what was happening on screen. I'd just see flashes, objects flying, hear loud noises, and then boom - I'm stabbed in the back and dead.

Anything a bit easier out there?

P.S. No, I don't remember the original COD because I almost never play computer games. My experience is limited to Treasure Island, Zork Grand Inquisitor, RtCW, COD4, and that's about it for computer games. I've tried others, but never found one interesting enough to play regularly (other than the ones just mentioned).

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I haven't played CoD 4 (yet!) but I have played the original Call of Duty and to me at least, it seemed somewhat similar to RtCW given the WWII setting, etc. although I found the scripted sequences very cool and the sense other soldiers were fighting by your side as they often were. It didn't strike me as being faster or more difficult that RtCW which I've also played in the past. The difficulty is adjustable too so you could try it on the easiest setting if you like and then turn it up to normal if you find that too easy for some reason. I would not feel bad playing it on whatever difficulty you like though. The point is to enjoy the experience in whatever way works for you after all.

I'd still say you might want to give that one a go and also I know CoD 2 is similar to the first in terms of gameplay so I still recommend that one as well. Both are on the App Store and I think for pretty low prices now given their age. Maybe try the first one and see what you think? It would not cost you a lot to find out.

I'm not sure what else would fit the bill in terms of being similar and also not being demanding hardware-wise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.