Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
I just read this news... and it's devastating for me! I've been using Google Reader for over 3 years now, and it was always the best way to keep track of all the websites/blogs I follow.

What do you guys suggest as an alternative RSS reader?

gmikesell

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Google Reader is taking a dirt nap!

I don't see a thread started for this yet so I figure I would go ahead and get it going.

I pretty much live in my RRS feeds reader which up to now, has been Google Reader. Now that it's being shuttered can anyone recommend a decent replacement if one exists? I'm currently trying out "NewsBar RRS Reader" ($4.99 in the OSX app store) on my macbook but hoping a better alternative is out there, preferably one that could sync my feeds across my MBP, iPhone, and iPad. I don't have the budget to try a bunch of different ones so hoping to get an idea from everyone else.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Read the news, your feeds are malfunctioning as it's not dead until July.

Feedly.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I don't see a thread started for this yet so I figure I would go ahead and get it going.

I pretty much live in my RRS feeds reader which up to now, has been Google Reader. Now that it's being shuttered can anyone recommend a decent replacement if one exists? I'm currently trying out "NewsBar RRS Reader" ($4.99 in the OSX app store) on my macbook but hoping a better alternative is out there, preferably one that could sync my feeds across my MBP, iPhone, and iPad. I don't have the budget to try a bunch of different ones so hoping to get an idea from everyone else.

What about NewsBlur?

gmikesell

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
What about NewsBlur?

NewsBlur definitely looks like a good one! I'll be trying that one out as soon as I can get in. Seems they may be overloaded at the moment thanks to the mass exodus from GR. Thanks!

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Another Google service bites the dust. The list of useful stuff they decide to ax during one of their spring cleanings is getting pretty long.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Moved everything over to Feedly, which will take some getting used to. I looked at Fever and Newsblur, which badabing!! mentioned, but they both cost money (Newsblur for the amount of feeds I follow.)

I'm glad I have the three months to find a replacement. I've been using Google Reader since Netnewswire started requiring Google Reader for its feeds.

Time to find the next solution...

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Moved everything over to Feedly, which will take some getting used to. I looked at Fever and Newsblur, which badabing!! mentioned, but they both cost money (Newsblur for the amount of feeds I follow.)

I'm glad I have the three months to find a replacement. I've been using Google Reader since Netnewswire started requiring Google Reader for its feeds.

Time to find the next solution...

Anybody checked to see if netnewswire is changing it's back end ?

I used to love it until they started to use google.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I didn't even know anyone still used RSS. There was this big buzz about it from around 2005 then it all just died out.

Why not use Google Currents to keep up with news from multiple sources?

AlyseM

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
I never even knew it existed. I heard that it got less hits and use than any other google product/ app/ page

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.