Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Every time I hook up a printer, ipod touch, camera, whatever, through my USB on my G3 imac, I get a message that says "No camera was found." When this message appears, a Canon camera application in the dock appears, which suggests that the message is from the Canon app (it also started happening just after using Canon app to download picts off my Canon camera). If I don't click "OK" in response to the message, it disappears and everything is fine. However, it is preventing the ipod touch from automatically opening iTunes for syncing (if iTunes is already open it syncs fine). Is there any way to stop this message from appearing and turning off whatever is causing it to appear? I've looked in the Canon apps I have and couldn't find any preference options that looked related.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Open Image Capture in Applications, go to preferences and then change the program that opens when a camera is connected to no application.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Open Image Capture in Applications, go to preferences and then change the program that opens when a camera is connected to no application.

Wow, it worked. I just want to kiss you! Thanks. My life is good again.

junkme

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2010
Me too

I'm getting the same problem too whenever my iPod Touch is connected. The "No Camera Was Found" error keeps popping up every 5 minutes or so. Very annoying if I'm trying to watch a movie.

The above fix doesn't work because there is no "preferences" option in Image Capture on Snow Leopard.

The error message is coming from Canon Camera Window, but I can't get into it's preferences either because if I click on it just get the "No Camera Was Found" message again and clicking "OK" to it closes the program.

Elbert C

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
AK, USA
I'm getting the same problem too whenever my iPod Touch is connected. The "No Camera Was Found" error keeps popping up every 5 minutes or so. Very annoying if I'm trying to watch a movie.

The above fix doesn't work because there is no "preferences" option in Image Capture on Snow Leopard.

The error message is coming from Canon Camera Window, but I can't get into it's preferences either because if I click on it just get the "No Camera Was Found" message again and clicking "OK" to it closes the program.

Launch Image Capture, connect the camera and you should see the option in the lower left window of Image Capture.

splashdown

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2009
and thanks from here...

Even if it's a year later, your advice is still being used! I've been meaning to fix this for ages and didn't know how. Thanks. ;)

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
I deleted Image Capture as it's not needed for my 5D's

I have EOS Utility on the dock and open that when I connect my cameras.

It's not needed for a 5D, but it is needed for setting system-wide importing settings. These (and the ones that appear in Safari's, Mail's, and all of Apple's other apps' settings) should be in an Applications pane in System Preferences, but for now they're all independent :(

mef4ds

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2012
Still works

I had the problem in Mountain Lion and used this suggestion. It worked. Just a note, though, the preferences access is now just an icon and it is not the words preferences. Took me awhile to figure it out! thanks.

tychop

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2006
How do I set 'No Application' as the default for any devices I connect? (Even devices I've never attached before)

jbyers2

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2015
Yosemite (10.10.2)

To disable pop-up, go to Image Capture in Applications, select device and it may be necessary to click the unlabeled show/hide icon in lower-left corner of window to show "connecting...opens" drop-down list; then select desired application from list (i.e., "No application").

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.