Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silexxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
Hi,
I have a timecapsule configured to work with my iMac and timemachine.
It's currently keeping 25 versions of backup and is nearly full.
How can I configure timecapsule (or timemachine) to keep only the last 5 versions of each file ?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
You can't as such, but your Time Capsule will delete the oldest backup.tb files when it becomes full....The process is automatic and you will be warned prior to deletion. That way it will always keep a backup first in, first out.

silexxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
would it be possible to change this parameter via a SSH connection ?
I have really no use of keeping 25 versions of my files, I'd prefer to be sure that the backup is working in background (ie:during the night) and not asking my confirmation (for a deletion) before starting...

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Have you considered CarbonCopyCloner? If you don't need versions of files, you can set that up to do a nightly bootable backup of anything/everything.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
CarbonCopy as posted is the only way to gain more control over your backups...Time machine has a set way of doing things, and fussing with it isn't really a good idea...you can of course exclude large files, folders and drives. I have a Pegasus R4 which I use to copy mission critical data to...two RAID0 arrays, one for archival purposes and the other takes care of current work. My TC backs up my Imac and my MBA.

silexxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
thanks for your feedback

what would happen if you loose one of your two "raid0 archival purpose" drive ?
raid0 is built for performance matter, not for resiliency (raid1 or raid10)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.