Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tannerman917

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Georgia
Hey all,

I was wondering if I should upgrade my 3rd gen iPod touch to the 5th as a Christmas present. My dad has been asking me (quite frequently) what I want for Christmas, and I'm debating as to whether or not to ask for one. If I do' hell almost certainly get one for me. I've had my trusty 3rd gen for 2 years now (got it on my birthday, THE DAY before the 4th gen came out), and I think it's time to upgrade. And to anyone with both an iPhone 4 and a 5th gen (or a 4s, since they have the same processor), what's the speed difference?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Gaelic2

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Mountains of N. California
I upgraded my 3rd generation for the new one and it is great! I use it for a point and shoot camera which automatically shows up on my desktop. When traveling through other countries, it helps to translate for me and makes sense on money exchange. This is so much better than the 3rd generation that I had. It evens feels elegant!:D

Tannerman917

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Georgia
Thanks!

I guess I should've specified: I use my iPod daily. I listen to music, look up chords for my guitar songs (I play in a band), watch YouTube videos, game, work on Pages and Google Drive docs for school, check email, browse the web, game some more, etc. I was disappointed when I saw the Geekbench scores of the 5th gen vs. those of the iPhone 5, but considering I'm coming from something not even half as fast with many less features, I'd be plenty happy with it.

mrskb

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
Michigan
Oh my goodness, yes! It does so much more than the 3rd gen does. I upgraded from 3 to 4, and now 5...It may not be long before you might have trouble updating software and apps in your 3g.

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I went from 4 to 5 and it was a pretty big jump. 3 to 5 will be a leap. The screen alone will be an amazing upgrade, to say nothing of the speed difference.

WSR

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
I bought 1 3rd gen the week it came out. My only disappointment was that it didn't have a camera.

I held off on getting a 4th gen., but with the 5th gen's camera, better screen and faster processor, I decided to get it. My only disappointment with it is that it didn't have a 128GB option. My audio and video almost fills that up, and I'm not interested in iCloud especially for a wifi only device.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I went from a 4th generation to a 5th, and it was fantastic. It's by far the nicest iPod touch yet, which seems obvious. But even after months have passed, I still find myself just staring at the screen. It's gorgeous. The batteries on my previous touches (2nd and 4th genration) could only managed a couple hours—at most—of use, but I'm able to get about 9 hours of heavy use out of the new touch. I cannot recommend the 5th genration iPod touch enough.

daybayray

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2012
I upgraded from a 3rd gen to a 5th gen

I would definitely recommend upgrading. I also had a 3rd gen, used regularly but nothing wrong with it (sold it after buying the new 5th gen). It is definitely faster, the video is soo much better. Even though I rarely use the external speaker, that is greatly improved as well. The battery life also seems to be much longer with the 5th generation. My only issue with the upgrade is the new lightning connector. Since I have a couple of devices that I plug my IPod into, I needed to buy 2 extra connectors. That adds $60 bucks to the overall price, just as an FYI. Otherwise, I am very happy that I upgraded.

Scipod

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
This is the closest (specs) an iPod has ever come to the iPhone it is as fast as the 4s and very thin. The new colors make it an even better product. This iPod is very great and I use mine for many of the same uses. You will notice a worlds difference in video buffering, game graphics and overall smooth performance. The upgrade of the camera I'm sure you will enjoy. This camera unlike the 4th gen. Is a very capable and very portable point and shoot you will always have with you.

The best kind of camera is the one you have with you....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.