Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:38 AM   #1
iDannyxD
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Apple Lies? Please help!

Let me start from scratch..

Bought a iPhone 4 from VODAFONE Ireland, after a week or two it developed a fault with the home button.
So I rang Apple, they collected and brought it to their repair centre, then they replaced it and sent it back to me, I got it now today.
I found out from here it was possibly refurbished, I rang Apple and explained to them that is it a refurbished device, they said no one has never used it before, all components are new and such, there only called refurnished because when they were built in the factory and while testing a component was malfunctioning so they sent it back to be fixed? Total BS I think. So I went off the phone to them and thought to myself, oh I'll get over it..
So I restored the iPhone from a backup a iCloud backup I made in 6.0, because it wouldn't let me restore from the 6.1 backup. So I restored, then I updated to 6.1, erased everything, restored from my 6.1 backup. After activating it brought me to the home screen, and a box popped up asking me for my apple ID again, I put it , then it asked again so I hit cancel, a different email a dress came up? I screenshot it, hit cancel, another one came up, I screenshot that,once again I hit cancel another email came up, of course I took another screenshot.

Can anyone tell me is this normal? Because a Apple supervisor thinks it is?
It seems to me it was used before?

Please help me on what to do now?

Thanks
iDannyxD is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:47 AM   #2
Brian Y
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDannyxD View Post
Let me start from scratch..

Bought a iPhone 4 from VODAFONE Ireland, after a week or two it developed a fault with the home button.
So I rang Apple, they collected and brought it to their repair centre, then they replaced it and sent it back to me, I got it now today.
I found out from here it was possibly refurbished, I rang Apple and explained to them that is it a refurbished device, they said no one has never used it before, all components are new and such, there only called refurnished because when they were built in the factory and while testing a component was malfunctioning so they sent it back to be fixed? Total BS I think. So I went off the phone to them and thought to myself, oh I'll get over it..
So I restored the iPhone from a backup a iCloud backup I made in 6.0, because it wouldn't let me restore from the 6.1 backup. So I restored, then I updated to 6.1, erased everything, restored from my 6.1 backup. After activating it brought me to the home screen, and a box popped up asking me for my apple ID again, I put it , then it asked again so I hit cancel, a different email a dress came up? I screenshot it, hit cancel, another one came up, I screenshot that,once again I hit cancel another email came up, of course I took another screenshot.

Can anyone tell me is this normal? Because a Apple supervisor thinks it is?
It seems to me it was used before?

Please help me on what to do now?

Thanks
1st off - refurb phones can be failed QC ones that have been repaired, or previously used phones that have had the outer casing + battery replaced, and any other faulty components replaced. TBH, most people will vouch here that Apple's refurbs are top notch.

The email address doesn't come from the phone after a restore - they come from iTunes (iTunes gives the phone your Apple ID during the restore to make activation, etc, quicker). There's only 2 ways this can come up with another email address:

- You restored on another computer which was signed into this Apple ID.

- You have Apps/Music/Videos etc in your iTunes library which were bought with this Apple ID. One thing I've seen in the past when diagnosing a similar issue was the user having cracked apps in their iTunes library, which were given fake iTunes receipts with random email addresses - each of which the phone wanted to sign in to to authorise the app.
Brian Y is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:50 AM   #3
likethesoup2
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Orlando, Florida
It's common knowledge that Apple uses refurbished phones for replacements.

I have a 4S refurb myself, and it's fine.

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill.
likethesoup2 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:03 AM   #4
iDannyxD
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Y View Post
1st off - refurb phones can be failed QC ones that have been repaired, or previously used phones that have had the outer casing + battery replaced, and any other faulty components replaced. TBH, most people will vouch here that Apple's refurbs are top notch.

The email address doesn't come from the phone after a restore - they come from iTunes (iTunes gives the phone your Apple ID during the restore to make activation, etc, quicker). There's only 2 ways this can come up with another email address:

- You restored on another computer which was signed into this Apple ID.

- You have Apps/Music/Videos etc in your iTunes library which were bought with this Apple ID. One thing I've seen in the past when diagnosing a similar issue was the user having cracked apps in their iTunes library, which were given fake iTunes receipts with random email addresses - each of which the phone wanted to sign in to to authorise the app.
Have never used iTunes with it, and never seen those emails in my life.
iDannyxD is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:11 AM   #5
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
If they actually said no one never used it then it probably is refurbished.
Jimmy James is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:17 AM   #6
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000
 
MisterKeeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDannyxD View Post
Have never used iTunes with it, and never seen those emails in my life.
I believe that it isn't a question of using iTunes with the phone as it is using iTunes with your Apple ID.
MisterKeeks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:56 AM   #7
braddick
macrumors 68040
 
braddick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Encinitas, CA
Logistically, work this out in your head:
Everyone who has a faulty home button sends to Apple for 'repair'.

Apple sends back brand new iPhone.

What would you have Apple do with all the working iPhones with minor problems?
Of course the replacement iPhone is refurbished.
Honestly, in some ways, the refurbished could be a better iPhone as it is extensively tested whereas a new iPhone isn't to the same degree.

Other than the label, "refurbished" the components are equal and if ten iPhones where placed side by side, one being refurbished and nine being brand new I doubt you would pick out the one over the others.
braddick is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:53 AM   #8
iceterminal
macrumors 68000
 
iceterminal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dallas Tx.
Quote:
Originally Posted by likethesoup2 View Post
It's common knowledge that Apple uses refurbished phones for replacements.

I have a 4S refurb myself, and it's fine.

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill.
While I agree with this statement, however the references used are not correct.
Apple does "not" use refurb units as replacements. They use "re-manufactured" units. There is a difference between the two.
__________________
The amount of material possessions one owns should not qualify them as a successful or just person.

The only worth these items have is the one you give them.
iceterminal is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Samsung Lies Again ardchoille42 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 65 Mar 1, 2014 01:11 PM
Apple is telling lies UBS28 iPhone 9 Mar 17, 2013 08:33 AM
The 1080p lies Blackberryroid Digital Photography 26 Oct 1, 2012 03:06 PM
2011 2012 macbook pro - why apple lies about RAM 8GB max ? joecool99 MacBook Pro 2 Jun 25, 2012 05:14 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC