Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
Question for this crowd: I bought the JBL Flip Bluetooth speaker and it doesn't seem to always be "listening" for audio coming from my Mac. It sounds like the connection "sleeps" when no audio is playing and then when I play something, it takes a few seconds to "wake up" and start playing audio.

Is this normal for Bluetooth speakers? Just a way to conserve battery life?

Any way to get it to "always listen" for audio to avoid this delay? If not, I'll just use an auxiliary cord...:confused:

PS - There is also latency between the mouth of a person in a video and the audio from the speaker. Not always but frequently...is this normal as well?

That's all normal for bluetooth. The start/stop is to conserve battery life. Having the radio "always listen" won't fix the latency either.

The latency is because A2DP is done by sending a compressed stream over the air. Often times, it'll have to be recompressed by the device and then decompressed by the other device, hence the latency. Not to mention that bluetooth itself adds latency too.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I sit in an office 9 hours a day. Why in the heck would I want to 'Airplay' music and also plug in my phone to keep it charged when I can plunk it down in a nice speaker dock? A decent speaker dock is also a helluva lot less expensive than an Airplay device.

mkbook

macrumors member
May 8, 2010
Bluetooth music streaming in a dock? That's disappointing. Bluetooth sounds terrible. I need to stick with AirPlay I suppose.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Swap it for the cable adapter. Allows phone to be held and passes audio.

----------

AirPlay requires the Airport Express or AppleTV.

Hmm--read my post on this page about the Altec Lansing InAir 5000--just one of many non-Apple Airplay solutions.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
That's all normal for bluetooth. The start/stop is to conserve battery life. Having the radio "always listen" won't fix the latency either.

The latency is because A2DP is done by sending a compressed stream over the air. Often times, it'll have to be recompressed by the device and then decompressed by the other device, hence the latency. Not to mention that bluetooth itself adds latency too.

Thanks. Does AirPlay also suffer from this annoying latency?:confused:

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
Thanks. Does AirPlay also suffer from this annoying latency?:confused:

I'm sure Airplay introduces latency, that's just a fundamental given.
However, the amount of latency could be lower given that there's more powerful hardware thrown at the problem.

Here's another thing. Airplay tends to be used when sending both video and audio. Those arrive at the same time, so that if you're watching from the output device (TV?), it's all nicely synced.

However, if you're playing a game on an ipad, and sending the video to a TV over airplay, then the latency for the audio/visual output will cause a slight delay in reaction time.

But, this reaction time is small enough that many gamers wouldn't notice. It's a lower lag then over-the-internet multiplayer games, for example.

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
OMG! Does it really matter if someone uses a dock, AirPlay or Bluetooth!?

Why do people feel the need to pawn off their usage habits on other people, or argue that their usage habits are superior.

Get over it! There is no right answer or all time right way to use an iPhone. You use it the way YOU want to use it.

Yumbo

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
Australia
actually AirPlay doesn't require them. They make airplay speakers. You do, however, require wifi.

Yes, but that was in reference to those posting about hooking up to existing stereos, and with the exception of 1 or 2 amps, they don't have built-in Airplay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.