Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sreg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
Hi,
I have a Mac Pro Medium 2010 version 5.1. Today I bought a Gigabyte GTX card 680 plugged into the Mac Pro, I connected the additional power - cables 2x6pin and nothing happens. Monitor does not start all the time is saving mode. I thought a defective card and plugged into my Windows PC with a 600W power supply - it works. Is my MacPro Power supply too weak? How to make the card started ?

Sebastian

ivoruest

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Guatemala
It is because that card is currently not supported by Apple. There are some who have managed to install cards not supported but there is a lot of coding and hacking to make them work.

sreg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
Thank you for your response. What can I do to make this card work with a MacPro? Will Apple be modified the software so that the MacPro support these cards?
How to run this card with MacPro? familiar ways - tricks?

sreg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
I forgot to add that the computer with my GTX 680 does not start in windows. When I turn on my computer, nothing happens. Can I connect an additional power to the card work under Windows?

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
There are NO hacks to make it work under OS X, and it could take a year or more before it happens. For now this card is useless for Mac OS X.

If your card has 2x6-pin power connectors it should work fine under Windows, the Mac Pro power supply is good enough. The card will NOT show the grey boot screen on your Mac Pro. You have to first put your old card in, boot into Windows via OS X Startup Disk system preference, shutdown, put in the GTX 680 and restart. Only then will you get the Windows to show. You will NOT be able to boot back into Mac without putting your old card in.

gpzjock

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2009
The GTX680 is measured to consume 335w at peak load and 102w at idle, the current highest power consumption Nvidia card your Mac Pro can use is a GTX570 with 330w and 150w consumption respectively. I would assume the MP PSU could manage the GTX680 if the drivers existed but they don't.
A GTX580 needs an external power supply added or its voltages and power cables modded to reduce the drain.
As for Windows I suggest you try downloading and installing the latest Nvidia drivers for that card before fitting it and see if it works.

Last edited:

sreg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
I did as you wrote. Under Windows, everything is Ok.
Start GTX 680 on Mac Pro will not let you run Mac OS - is it well understood? I wonder how to solve this problem in order to have access to Windows and MacOS

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
You have to first put your old card in, boot into Windows via OS X Startup Disk system preference, shutdown, put in the GTX 680 and restart. Only then will you get the Windows to show. You will NOT be able to boot back into Mac without putting your old card in.

Actually this is not true, you can "Reboot into Mac OS X" (or something like that) from the Boot Camp thing in the lower right corner. You can also do the same thing from the Boot Camp section in the Control Panel. I do this all the time, FWIW I'm currently running a GTX 560 Ti without an EFI and it works fine.

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
I wonder how to solve this problem in order to have access to Windows and MacOS

You can use a second cheap video card like the GT 120 in another PCI slot that will let you see Mac OS X, but for the moment the GTX 680 won't work on OS X, there are no Mac drivers at all, no solution possible for now.

Actually this is not true, you can "Reboot into Mac OS X" (or something like that) from the Boot Camp thing in the lower right corner. You can also do the same thing from the Boot Camp section in the Control Panel. I do this all the time, FWIW I'm currently running a GTX 560 Ti without an EFI and it works fine.

Yeah, sorry, what I meant was that once you reboot into OS X you get no image from the GTX 680.

sreg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
Do both cards in my computer may be GT 120 and GTX 680 the same time ? When I turn on my Mac OS plug monitors into the GT120, when I turn on the Windows plug monitors into the GTX 680?

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
Yeah, sorry, what I meant was that once you reboot into OS X you get no image from the GTX 680.

Right, that's definitely true for now (hopefully). My comment was more of a general thing about PC cards with no EFI, it's pretty easy to switch back and forth without using the boot selection screen.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
I understand everything you are saying but how do I get a GTX 680 working in OS X and Windows? I really like this card and want it to work. Thanks. :D

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
how do I get a GTX 680 working in OS X

Short answer: as of right now, you can't. No Mac drivers exist for the card.

Hopefully support for this generation of GPUs will be added soon, but until that time comes, the GTX 680 will simply not work in OS X. The same can be said for the 7000-series GPUs from AMD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.