Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayzee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Had this for about a week, great price, and a great product. Was plug and play with my retina MBP, burns DVDs and Blu Rays really fast no problems. Highly recommended, should have bought this ages ago

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I personally suspect rip-lock is involved, as the 506 behaved like it was rip-locked when I was using it. Unfortunately there is no firmware for the 506 that removes rip-lock.

It was painfully slow and so I dumped it.

USB 2 is not the issue here... even a 10X Blu-ray drive would not saturate USB 2 speeds.

Mikebuzzsaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I personally suspect rip-lock is involved, as the 506 behaved like it was rip-locked when I was using it. Unfortunately there is no firmware for the 506 that removes rip-lock.

It was painfully slow and so I dumped it.

USB 2 is not the issue here... even a 10X Blu-ray drive would not saturate USB 2 speeds.

Ah. What blu-ray drive do you currently use now?

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Ah. What blu-ray drive do you currently use now?

I am back to using "old faithful" a 4X Lite-on BD rom that I got as a bargain basement for $65 a couple of years ago when I started ripping all of my discs.

It's a full size drive parked in an enclosure. Even though it's "only" a 4X drive, it is over 2X as fast as ripping BDs as any of the slim drives I tried.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Hope it's OK to bump this up. I purchased the MCE Super-Blu Drive, got it for $70 after shipping with the Cyber Monday sale.

The Lacie drive looks nice, but this MCE one mimics the design of the Apple SuperDrive and that's kind of what I was looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.