Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Don't see the logic in this. You willingly used data. Pay for it.

Because I'm not supposed to get it. You can't give me an xbox, and then be like YOU HAVE TO PAY ME $200 FOR IT. It doesn't work that way. I was only using it because I couldn't understand why I had it.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Because I'm not supposed to get it. You can't give me an xbox, and then be like YOU HAVE TO PAY ME $200 FOR IT. It doesn't work that way. I was only using it because I couldn't understand why I had it.

FYI unless you've called Rogers and explicitly told them to block data on your account, then your phone will still receive data if your settings aren't set up to turn data off. You don't need to be on a data plan to be able to receive data, and you will just pay the pay per use price. Turn it off from your settings ASAP, you are 100% liable to pay for the data you use.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I've been enjoying HSPA+ on AT&T for a year now. LTE only really benefits Verizon and Sprint because of the technology they chose to use for their 3G networks.

I turn LTE off and save battery life on my iPhone 5. I enjoy speeds on HSPA+ of 6-10mbps. Verizon and Sprint can't do that!!!

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Lol you guys think 10mbps is fast...

Here's the fastest I've gotten on LTE. Even in low signal LTE areas, I still pull 15mbps or higher.

A57EF42E-9867-49FF-81D9-B641FA8D7E20-126-00000063425FA1CF.jpg

Last edited:

rlench

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2012
Taken about 10 miles outside of Manchester.

I regularly get 18-24mb in this area and never less than 4 bars of signal. 3 have amazing signal in the North West.

8228582213_254bcb94e9_c.jpg

vbtwo31984

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Yeah this is all based on confusion started by T-Mobile USA referring to HSPA+ as 4G. AT&T then had to follow suit since they were offering the exact same services, but T-Mobile's sounded better since they were incorrectly referring to them as 4G.

So now some carriers call HSPA+ 4G and some call it 3G but regardless, it's all the same thing, and is capable of some crazy fast speeds.

Yes, and now the iPhone shows 4G when on AT&T HSPA+ network, and 3G on T-Mobile. Apple should just pick one and display that for all carriers.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Rogers doesn't have a non data iPhone plan. How did you get it activated without data?

Only way to buy an iPhone here is to buy one unlocked and pre-activated, and just throw your current sim card in. (Which is fine by me. $50-80 a month for a plan? No way)

FYI unless you've called Rogers and explicitly told them to block data on your account, then your phone will still receive data if your settings aren't set up to turn data off. You don't need to be on a data plan to be able to receive data, and you will just pay the pay per use price. Turn it off from your settings ASAP, you are 100% liable to pay for the data you use.

No, it doesn't work that way. If you don't pay for a service, you simply don't receive it. I don't pay for caller ID, so I do not receive it. If I suddenly start getting calls with ID, you're going to make me pay $11 a month for something that I elected to NOT pay for in the first place?

It's the same deal here. I don't pay for it, and I suddenly start receiving iMessages, and I go to do a speed test. This isn't really in my control, and you can't force a service on me and make me pay for it?

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Even HSPA+ isn't 10 MB/s though is it not? We also don't have HSPA+ coverage in our area though

I have been on Fido (Rogers) and Virgin (Telus) and have gotten speeds of up to 16Mbps Down and 3-9Mbps Up on both carriers while surfing on 3G....

Roughly 19Mbps on LTE Fido (Rogers).

PS its not MB/s (MegaBytes per second) its Mbps (Megabits per second)

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
Only way to buy an iPhone here is to buy one unlocked and pre-activated, and just throw your current sim card in. (Which is fine by me. $50-80 a month for a plan? No way)

No, it doesn't work that way. If you don't pay for a service, you simply don't receive it. I don't pay for caller ID, so I do not receive it. If I suddenly start getting calls with ID, you're going to make me pay $11 a month for something that I elected to NOT pay for in the first place?

It's the same deal here. I don't pay for it, and I suddenly start receiving iMessages, and I go to do a speed test. This isn't really in my control, and you can't force a service on me and make me pay for it?

Oh man you are in a world of hurt if you didn't know about pay-per-use data. Please elaborate in how you "had no control" in opening up the speedtest app and doing a test hence using data.

looking at the Rogers website:

6. Any additional usage exceeding the data allotment provided is charged in $5 increments ($5/100MB for 100MB data plan and $5/500MB for remaining data plans). U.S. data roaming is $0.006/kB and International data roaming is $0.03/kB.

9. Usage exceeding the data allotment provided is charged in $10 increments per 1GB rounded to the next full GB. U.S. data roaming is $0.006/kB and International data roaming is $0.03/kB.

12. Any additional usage exceeding the data allotment provided is charged in $10 increments. U.S. data roaming is $0.006/kB and International data roaming is $0.03/kB

pick your poison

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Oh man you are in a world of hurt if you didn't know about pay-per-use data. Please elaborate in how you "had no control" in opening up the speedtest app and doing a test hence using data.

looking at the Rogers website:

6. Any additional usage exceeding the data allotment provided is charged in $5 increments ($5/100MB for 100MB data plan and $5/500MB for remaining data plans). U.S. data roaming is $0.006/kB and International data roaming is $0.03/kB.

9. Usage exceeding the data allotment provided is charged in $10 increments per 1GB rounded to the next full GB. U.S. data roaming is $0.006/kB and International data roaming is $0.03/kB.

12. Any additional usage exceeding the data allotment provided is charged in $10 increments. U.S. data roaming is $0.006/kB and International data roaming is $0.03/kB

pick your poison

I have used pay-per-use data before. That is different from randomly being given data haha

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
HSPA+ is still considered 3G
No, HSPA+ is classified as 4G per the ITU. There are several carriers who are still confusing consumers though.

You are in for a world of hurt when they bill you at the kb/$$$$$ rate you will be responsible for.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
T-mobile

Here is T-mobile speed taken in Rogers, MN. There is no "3G" anywhere close by. 3G coverage is spotty in the twin cities. How is that for an iPhone 5 experience?

Attachments

• 2012-12-02 15.08.14.png
    2012-12-02 15.08.14.png
    426 KB · Views: 31

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
xboxmysocks: all rogers plans are set up for pay-per-use data by default. my suggestion is to immediately turn off cellular data in the network settings if you don't pay for a data plan. rogers may credit a portion of your data charges as a first time mistake but don't expect to use data for free just because you don't pay for a plan.

a data block on your account directly from rogers is also suggested.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Here is T-mobile speed taken in Rogers, MN. There is no "3G" anywhere close by. 3G coverage is spotty in the twin cities. How is that for an iPhone 5 experience?

Hope the refarm hits you soon man D: This is the most I've gotten.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 39

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
No real point with LTE when 3G is that fast imo. Especially if it comes at the cost of battery drain. Few mobile applications require those speeds, not even Netflix. I usually get about 7 mbps, dont think my network is much faster though.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.