Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Delirium7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
I searched and found much of the information I was looking for, but I have a more specific question if somebody could help me.

I understand that geofencing is designed to be passive so as to not absolutely kill your phone's battery, but does it cause the phone to poll and check it's location more frequently if there are ANY fenced reminders?

For example, If I wanted to set a geofence reminder that is just for fun, meaning not pertinent to my day to day schedule, or even near me geographically (say, put a reminder to take a picture of the Golden Gate Bridge and fence it around San Francisco...although I don't live in California), does it noticeably drain battery power to the point where I shouldn't use it like that?

Thanks in advance

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
I searched and found much of the information I was looking for, but I have a more specific question if somebody could help me.

I understand that geofencing is designed to be passive so as to not absolutely kill your phone's battery, but does it cause the phone to poll and check it's location more frequently if there are ANY fenced reminders?

For example, If I wanted to set a geofence reminder that is just for fun, meaning not pertinent to my day to day schedule, or even near me geographically (say, put a reminder to take a picture of the Golden Gate Bridge and fence it around San Francisco...although I don't live in California), does it noticeably drain battery power to the point where I shouldn't use it like that?

Thanks in advance

If I'm not mistaken the geofencing reminders use only cell tower triangulation. Data that your phone already has readily available at all times it has cell phone signal.

The battery impact of this feature is minimal as opposed to if it was GPS it'd be a large drain.

Delirium7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
That what I'm curious about. If its using triangulation data that its accessing anyway, then great.
I was wary about the phone essentially saying "oo ok we have a geofence up, time to start doing a GPS loc check every x minutes"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.