Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I love flicker and have many photos on the site. I am a pro member and upload my own photography and plus over the last year or so I also scanned countless family photos from the last 50 years. My family is spread out over the country so it's a great way of sharing. Plus for the price it is a excellent value. I do not care for the layout and would like something more elegant. Also I would not mind a custom domain. However I see to setup my own site vis square space is in the neighborhood of $16 a month that's a bit more that the $25 a year I spend on flicker. I looked at smug mug and it looks like for $60 a year I can get what I want. Anyone have any recommendations or comments?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I use and like smugmug, and 60 bucks a year to get what you want isn't all that much imo

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
I've used SmugMug for several years and I love it. It fully customizable and it doesn't cost too much. Also, I agree with the second poster. $60/yr to get "everything you want" is very cheap.

We are talking about photography. This is not a cheap interest. $60/yr is only $5 a month, That's about two cups of coffee a month or a combo meal at a fast food restaurant.

While I look for deals as well, I realize photography is not cheap and you need to spend money to get what you want. I have a full subscription to SmugMug and I don't mind spending the money at all since it gives me every custom item I could want :)

Randy McKown

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2011
While I wouldn't call it customizable, I'm also a huge fan of 500px. It's an amazing alternative to Flickr. Way better in my opinion.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I would also recommend 500px. I'm not a paying member on there, but I do like the layout over Flickr. It's certainly worth checking out. Plus, you're able to sell your work on there as well (if that is something you wanted to do).

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
I was asking myself the same question as OP, but also do any of these services allow non-members to comment on photos ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.