Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeicaM8

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
West Michigan
In OSX, is it possible to make sure an App can only reach the internet IF it's using a specific SOCKS Proxy? If so, how do I go about that? It appears that Security>Firewall Can help with that or maybe a profile in Network>Advanced>Proxy, but I only know enough to be dangerous if I go fiddling around to much with things in there.

Is there an App for monitoring Apps so they stay in their 'assigned' routes to the internet?
Thx
Richard

MacPro 5,1
12gig/240gig SSD/asst int & ext hard drives

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
People usually just use Little Snitch to block all apps except whitelisted apps.

LeicaM8

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
West Michigan
Hi,
good advise and I do use Little Snitch. It's well worth the reasonable price they charge, in my opinion. The thing is LilSnitch doesn't *seem* to be able to offer ability to control the specific route an App is gonna interact with the internet once I give the app access. I'm looking for a way to ensure an app is forced to be in it's assigned proxy and if it's link to the proxy breaks then the app loses all access to the internet.

Not even sure of what search terms to use to find an app or settings to accomplish this. Sigh.

Richard

People usually just use Little Snitch to block all apps except whitelisted apps.

freejazz-man

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
you are looking for the options afforded in a more robust firewall solution like pF or iptables

you should be able to force certain types of activity over a certain path, like the local port for a proxy, or even a remote proxy, I believe.

alexrmc92

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2013
you are looking for the options afforded in a more robust firewall solution like pF or iptables

you should be able to force certain types of activity over a certain path, like the local port for a proxy, or even a remote proxy, I believe.

Macs still have enough BSD in them to include ipfw, which is just as advanced as those programs you listed.

I suggest getting downloading firewall builder from the net and configuring ipfw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.