Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SawyerTHEBEST

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
SO I'm stuck with this G4 Mac for awhile. And I want to start learning Java (while actually coding things) But I don't know were to start, and what programs to use that work with PowerPC Macs :( halp :)

CptSky

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2013
NetBeans 6.8 will works too as it requires Java 1.5 which is the highest Java version shipped with OS X (PPC). It's what I use on my G5.

N.G. Java changed on few things with Java 1.6, and now with Java 1.7. I did some app that although they were working fine on my G5, some comportment were different (almost all related to Swing) on my G5 in comparison to my MBP.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
SO I'm stuck with this G4 Mac for awhile. And I want to start learning Java (while actually coding things) But I don't know were to start, and what programs to use that work with PowerPC Macs :( halp :)

I actually prefer the eclipse compiler. I believe it still supports 64 bit PPC.

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
If you need a newer version of Java for whatever you're doing then you should be safe to run OpenJDK (Soylatte) without problems.

SawyerTHEBEST

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
SO I've done the "Hello World" Script so I'm basicly a pro. BUT I don't know were to go from here :/

I am pretty good with paint.net . When I first started using it I would just play around with it selecting the different tools and trying different effects. And there were many tutorials on their forum.

But with coding it seems like your either a noob or an expert every java forum I have found is filled with huge **** I can't even beggin to understand.

So a hugeee list of starter tutorials would be awesome ^_^ if someone would just ask about paint.net I would destroy them with information, yee yee :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
It sounds like java is your first programming language.

What are you looking for in a tutorial? I know that sounds like a dumb question, but some tutorials are a very methodical walk through and others are simply an overview and a "try it for yourself".

When I'm trying to learn a new programming language, I usually follow something like this:

1) Print a message to the console ("hello world")
2) Take input from the user and then dump it to the console ("What is your name? Hello <NAME>").
3) Basic string manipulation / validation ("Enter your favorite month. I'm sorry, I've never heard of Febtober / I like August").
4) Math (calculate Fibonacci sequences)
5) Math (use a caching mechanism to store Fibonacci numbers to improve performance of (4) ).
6) Disk I/O (reading the contents of a file. Then writing to a file. Listing all files in a directory).
7) GUI (redo all of the above, but use a GUI instead of a console).

For each of those, you can do a basic google search of the task (rather than a tutorial for the whole language). If you find sample code online that you don't understand, try to figure out what each individual line does (it helps if the sample code isn't too long).

One of the biggest complaints that people have about java (after performance, memory, and security) is that it is very verbose. It can take several lines of code to do something simple (such as reading text from a file). That's just the nature of the language, I'm afraid.

If you have any questions, just ask. The internet and forums will be your friend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.