Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
People: thanks for your answers: why doesn't Handbrake simply make it easy for Blu-Ray English subtitles, as they do already for DVD subtitles? Are there not enough people working on/for Handbrake? What you all have proposed is too much work even for me: I love 1080p, but on an iPad, I'll take the DVD rip with subtitles, rather than do all that work... until Handbrake gets it together for Blu-Rays, that is! (And by the time they do, everything will be online, right!?)
The latest version of HB v9.9 does do BR subtitles. Not sure what you're beef is? :confused:

----------

Hey guys, a lot of good info in this thread. But howdo I que up DVD's to be ripped via handbrake over night? I have a 2009 iMac and I can only insert one DVD at a time which takes an hour each movie. Also does your iTunes slow down and become unreponsive with the more movies and TV Shows you add? Mine has. I will be doing a clean install soon when Mavericks comes out.
Use MakeMKV to create an mkv file of the original dvd. Will take 10-15/dvd. Then use HB to convert the mkv's to mp4. You can add the mkv's to HB's queue for it to transcode multiple files in sequence.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
I think it is stupid to do so.
You can still play your DVD's, the rare occasion I do so, I just pop them in my HTPC MacMini with BR drive.
In 2013 we can finally watch movies as they were intended, so why reuse the crap that DVD ever was?
I mean, they either do a lousy 2/3 pullup to 60fps on NTSC, or a 2/2 pull up with overal 104% speed increase on PAL. And they interlace too! And then you have Handbrake turning this crap into progressive again? No, thank you.

BR disks and HD downloads are just as intended 23.976 progressive, the only way movies should be encoded, with subtitles as UTF-8 files with separate fonts, not bitmaps that are impossible to use with your custom subtitle settings.

And for DVD rips: it is easier to download the DVD rips you would otherwise make yourself. Less work, and in many countries falling under the category home-copy as well.

If I really like a movie to watch it another 5 times, I buy a BR disc. The quality of DVD is no match and the price is often the same as a HD download, without account/DRM crap, yet much better in quality. For convenience I download the BRrip under the same home-copy law to keep the most used discs scratch free.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.