Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:20 AM   #1
macnerd93
macrumors 6502a

Power Mac G5 VS iMac Intel Quad Core i5

Hello,

So I've had my Power Mac G5 two days now and its been running flawlessly. Earlier I did a couple of quick tests bootup, a photoshop .psd load and restart in comparison to my Quad Core 2.5Ghz intel i5 iMac. The results maybe surprising.

Feel free to check out the Video below

http://youtu.be/V9RGfGZOg14

Last edited by macnerd93; Feb 7, 2013 at 05:26 AM.
macnerd93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:33 AM   #2
seveej
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnerd93 View Post
Hello,

So I've had my Power Mac G5 two days now and its been running flawlessly. Earlier I did a couple of quick tests bootup, a photoshop .psd load and restart in comparison to my Quad Core 2.5Ghz intel i5 iMac. The results maybe surprising.

Feel free to check out the Video below

http://youtu.be/V9RGfGZOg14
Nice video. Love the speakers.
It would be sensible to publish some more details on the machines, like:
- CPU specs
- RAM, Hard drives used
- operating systems
- PS versions

RGDS,
seveej is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:45 AM   #3
macnerd93
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by seveej View Post
Nice video. Love the speakers.
It would be sensible to publish some more details on the machines, like:
- CPU specs
- RAM, Hard drives used
- operating systems
- PS versions

RGDS,
thats all in the video description.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:55 AM   #4
seveej
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnerd93 View Post
thats all in the video description.
Touché!

Those specs considered, I find it honestly amazing that the iMac is not faster than that (or the G5 slower). Basically only the main hard drive is similar. the iMac has double the cores (Geekbench 1500 vs. 7200) , 20+ x the memory (running at higher speed) etc..

Can it really be that Leopard is so much quicker than Mountain lion?

RGDS
seveej is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:15 AM   #5
AlbertEinstein
macrumors regular

Even tough i would like to think that the PowerMac G5 was quicker, it all comes down to software. To run this test fairly, one would have to do a clean install of Leopard on both computers and run the same software, as i can see that you are using two versions of Photoshop.

Something that is very important to consider is software optimization. Over time developers have been getting sloppy with their coding, thus creating unoptimized code that eats more RAM, GPU and CPU. Sadly, the latest versions of OS X is also suffering from that.

This video only proves that Leopard is quicker than Mountain Lion. But it sure is nice to see a quick G5 in this x86 world!
AlbertEinstein is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:16 AM   #6
rabidz7
Banned

Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
2X bloat = 1/2 speed
rabidz7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:35 AM   #7
macnerd93
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertEinstein View Post
Even tough i would like to think that the PowerMac G5 was quicker, it all comes down to software. To run this test fairly, one would have to do a clean install of Leopard on both computers and run the same software, as i can see that you are using two versions of Photoshop.

Something that is very important to consider is software optimization. Over time developers have been getting sloppy with their coding, thus creating unoptimized code that eats more RAM, GPU and CPU. Sadly, the latest versions of OS X is also suffering from that.

This video only proves that Leopard is quicker than Mountain Lion. But it sure is nice to see a quick G5 in this x86 world!
I am using both Photoshop CS6 and Photoshop CS2 both versions were the latest out at the time each machine was made. Leopard would never install on the iMac, the drivers simply don't exist for an iMac this new. I think I would be only able to downgrade as far as Snow Leopard on my iMac. I would say to make the test fairer I should install Panther 10.3 on the G5 since that's its original factory OS and Mountain Lion is my iMacs factory shipped OS

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by seveej View Post
Touché!

Those specs considered, I find it honestly amazing that the iMac is not faster than that (or the G5 slower). Basically only the main hard drive is similar. the iMac has double the cores (Geekbench 1500 vs. 7200) , 20+ x the memory (running at higher speed) etc..

Can it really be that Leopard is so much quicker than Mountain lion?

RGDS
Im sure i got a geek bench score on my G5 of 1749 the other day. I imagine the 64-bit geek bench would be a bit higher too, but they aren't as slow as people make out. It's gonna be running logic studio so I can archive all of my old vinyl. Some in my collection are from the 1930's so they should be digitised.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs