Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichP74

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Yeah, I just bought a 4 last week as well, despite the 5 being around the corner.

I have a mini, which I quite like, but I just need a bigger screen for some of the stuff I do like Remote Desktop into windows PCs. And reading certain forums is much easier on this thing.

Don't regret it at all. I even bought AppleCare for it, as I'm that certain I'm keeping it for the long haul.

S

syd430

I think the real reason that the 2 is still out there is to appeal to business and comercial users who snap up ipads in bulk for productivity use only. Businesses don't generally buy the ipad mini due to the smaller screen size.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
It's good you did, now that iOS 7 will only be coming to the 4th Gen

Yeah, because Apple really want 80%* of all the iPad's they've ever sold to be incapable of running their latest os. Good grief. Apple crowed about 92% (or whatever it was) uptake of iOS6 in their keynote for a reason.

*Stat plucked from thin air obviously, but the % of users with iPad 4’s will be absolutely dwarfed by the number of users with iPad 2’s/Mini's and 3's combined.

Last edited:

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
The iPad 4 is going to be around for a while, it's internals are geared toward far longer term use than it's predecessor (in terms of intense apps, not general web browsing and basic operation).

I'm upgrading to an iPad 4 next month, not because I think the 3 is slow or it's inferior, but merely due to the opportunity to do so via work. I'll give my wife my 3, which she's delighted with as it's a 64GB and she can load it full of Modern Family and New Girl episodes (poor iPad), but I think the 3 gets far too much abuse and beat downs on here.

In another thread someone called it a "stuttering wreck", which I corrected them on as it was a ludicrous comment to make. When my 4 comes and I've had time to sit down and have a proper play around with it for an extended period, I'll be happy to report the first proper "unbiased" comparison between the 3 and 4, because thus far it's been ridiculous.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Wrong. iPad 2 and up was what Apple said at the keynote.

My bad, you are correct. AirDrop will only be available for the 4th gen. But take into that iOS 7 probably won't run very well on the iPad 2 compared to the 4th gen. So however many people will upgrade is an entirely other question.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
My bad, you are correct. AirDrop will only be available for the 4th gen. But take into that iOS 7 probably won't run very well on the iPad 2 compared to the 4th gen. So however many people will upgrade is an entirely other question.

You've no idea how iOS 7 will run on the iPad 2, you know as much as the rest of us.

I personally feel that the dual core A5's have plenty left in them, especially the iPad variant since it has a 1GHz CPU compared to the 800MHz A5 found in the iPhone 4S.

Don't also forget that iOS 7 isn't throwing around as many texture based icons and UI elements compared to iOS 6, so that should (in theory) result in better performance.

Until the beta comes we have no idea, but then even the first beta won't be a perfect indication of true performance.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
You've no idea how iOS 7 will run on the iPad 2, you know as much as the rest of us.

I personally feel that the dual core A5's have plenty left in them, especially the iPad variant since it has a 1GHz CPU compared to the 800MHz A5 found in the iPhone 4S.

Don't also forget that iOS 7 isn't throwing around as many texture based icons and UI elements compared to iOS 6, so that should (in theory) result in better performance.

Until the beta comes we have no idea, but then even the first beta won't be a perfect indication of true performance.

I concur. The iPad 2 isn't even retina so that should help with performance.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
I sold a ipad 3 because of heat issues and got a mini, I like everything about it except text is just crap and for websites the screen is too small, especially after having a retina MacBook for a few months.
Think I will sell and get a ipad 4.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I've had a 32G iPad3 since it came out and find that it works perfectly. I don't recall any stutter when playing games like Galaxy on Fire 2 at full res or when running business apps.

I just bought the office 10 of the latest iPad with Retina ( 32G ) for testing with the new iOS7 when it drops. I'll let you know if we notice a performance difference.

Dyn-tec

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
So on apples website it says ios 7 will be available for ipad 2 and ipad with retina......so that's the 4's AND the 3's?!?!

Dyn-tec

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
If it's available for the iPad 2, it should also be available for the 3 AND the 4, don't you think? ;)

Sorry, didn't mean iOS7....meant "Airdrop"...but I am sure the answer is still the same.

Just funny how Apple acts the Ipad 3 never existed....

bettaboy123

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
Michigan
I had an original iPad, skipped the iPad 2, got a 3, which was thrown against a wall, and replaced it with a 4. The iPad 3 was no stuttering mess, but the 4 definitely feels just a tad faster than my iPad 3 after it was fixed and given to my brother and felt faster than my parent's 3 as well.

I think the Lightning port is my favorite thing about it compared to the iPad 3 just because I can put it in the right way every time (unlike the stupid 30-pin connector). The slightly faster speed in iPhoto is great too.

mphtrilogy

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
got mine last week,

upgraded from the ipad 1.0..

and I am loving it so far..

can't beleive I waited so long to upgrade...

loving Siri!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.