Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wongers1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Hi,

I have a little bit of a problem I wonder if anyone can help with.

I upgraded my macbook pro from 10.8.5 to 10.9 and I seem to have lost the ability to transfer data from my macbook to my Netgear Readynas NV+ V2.

I am able to connect and transfer using CIFS and SMB.

But when I try and use AFP, it will allow me to connect but I can't transfer any data from my macbook to the readynas or vise versa?

Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
I'm in the process of transferring 2.9TB between a new FreeNAS box and ReadyNAS NV+ using an iMac running 10.9 via AFP and other than the fact it painfully slow (been running since yesterday and still have 7 hours to go!) it's working fine.

The ReadyNAS has been problem free but I really won't miss its transfer speeds!

Wongers1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
I'm in the process of transferring 2.9TB between a new FreeNAS box and ReadyNAS NV+ using an iMac running 10.9 via AFP and other than the fact it painfully slow (been running since yesterday and still have 7 hours to go!) it's working fine.

The ReadyNAS has been problem free but I really won't miss its transfer speeds!

This is a really odd problem for me. Before upgrading to Mavericks I had no issues with using AFP. Then as soon as its done. AFP not working properly.

My Mac Mini running 10.8.5 works completely fine with AFP to my Readynas NV+ V2, No problems whatsoever.

I would appreciate a fix to help me.

joshnekrep

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2013
After much head scratching, I've come to the conclusion I'm likely in the same boat. I have a Western Digital N900 with a 1Tb drive that uses AFP, and a Macbook Pro that was able to connect to it flawlessly prior to updating to Mavericks.

After the upgrade, I seem to be able to connect, but I'm having problems writing to the drive. I was able to create a folder. When I tried to copy a file into that folder, I got the following error:
"The operation could not be completed because an unexpected error occurred. (error code -50)"

The file showed up instantly in the folder, but it had 0 bytes. I cannot delete the file (it gives me the same error every time). I cannot overwrite the file. I can read off the drive fine.

Hoping someone has an answer here.

Cheers

/jn

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
I can connect and transfer data to shared drives but time machine can't.

Mavericks now uses SMB sharing by default and time machine uses AFP. The fall back to AFP is not happening correctly.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
If I were diagnosing a similar problem, I'd reboot the NAS, then reconfigured the AFP shares and finally reboot the Mac.

That said, not having any problems with AFP on FreeNAS or ReadyNAS and Time Machine backups to the FreeNAS still working fine. Both NAS devices are only configured for AFP and all connected Macs have been upgraded to 10.9

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Backup yesterday was perfect but now after sleep i get:

The network backup disk could not be accessed because there was a problem with the network username or password. You may need to re-select the backup disk and enter the correct username and password.

Latest successful backup: Yesterday, 06:19

If I manually connect to server via finder and AFP it will work again, until it once again goes to sleep.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Just received this from Lacie Tech Support:

Unfortunately, this seems to be a known issues across the internet in regards to AFP/SMB with network devices using Time Machine. Currently, the only workaround would be to disable the computer from sleeping or to contact Apple for a more permanent solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.