Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I didn't realize that anyone was still using Aperture... ;)

[ducks]

"Throws Brick"...:D I still like it, although have been considering Adobe again..Trouble is, I had a major disagreement with them a few years back over licensing and I'm still mad at them. Aperture does the job if you know your way around though..:)

msandersen

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Sydney, Australia
I've got a love/hate relationship with Aperture. I went over fulltime to Lightroom 4 when it came out just to give it a decent try, but in the end after a few months decided I just like Aperture better, despite my grievances over performance and resource use (eating up HD space). I'm hanging out for an Aperture 4, which *naturally* will fix all my issues! :p

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I'm hanging out for an Aperture 4, which *naturally* will fix all my issues! :p
I hope you have taken the time to give Apple feedback on Aperture so you issues will be at least looked at by Apple. Will APple act on feedback they receive? It depends on what it is and how many people say the same thing.

Feedback that is both well thought out and written well has a better chance of being visible inside Apple. Feedback that isn't submitted has no chance at all of being seen.

I didn't realize that anyone was still using Aperture... ;)

[ducks]
I have no desire to follow Adobe where their licensing scheme appears to be heading. Also, Aperture does what I need it to do and that is what really matters. For others they may need something Lightroom has - it all comes down to needs and preferences.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I've got a love/hate relationship with Aperture. I went over fulltime to Lightroom 4 when it came out just to give it a decent try, but in the end after a few months decided I just like Aperture better, despite my grievances over performance and resource use (eating up HD space). I'm hanging out for an Aperture 4, which *naturally* will fix all my issues! :p

Yes, the HDD space was an issue.....Until I solved it with the sledgehammer of a purchase.....My Pegasus R4! It's fast enough to do real time work too, not cheap but thunderbolt really does the job.

manni

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
Does anyone here have much experience using Nik software plug-ins like silver efex and their sharpening ones?

They seem absurdly expensive but get good reviews but mostly by people using lightroom - how do they work with aperture? It seems it takes you out aperture to a separate application which is a pity?

Like others here I am frustrated that Apple won't even give any indication of where they are taking Aperture. All my photography friends, even die-hard apple fans, have now abandoned it for lightroom. I just despise Adobe and love the way Aperture is integrated. I wonder if Apple is aware or even cares how frustrated serious photographers are.

So I was thinking about trying to boost Aperture with the Nik software bundle so can anyone offer their experience?

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
Does anyone here have much experience using Nik software plug-ins like silver efex and their sharpening ones?

[...]

So I was thinking about trying to boost Aperture with the Nik software bundle so can anyone offer their experience?

You can download demo versions of all the Nik stuff from http://www.niksoftware.com/site/

To get more people's opinions, it'd probably be better to start a new thread about Nik software rather than posting in this one about Aperture updates.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
yep, Nik rocks as Apeture or LR plugin. I am just scared for them being taken over by Google. :eek:

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC

They seem absurdly expensive but get good reviews but mostly by people using lightroom - how do they work with aperture? It seems it takes you out aperture to a separate application which is a pity?

Like others here I am frustrated that Apple won't even give any indication of where they are taking Aperture. All my photography friends, even die-hard apple fans, have now abandoned it for lightroom. I just despise Adobe and love the way Aperture is integrated. I wonder if Apple is aware or even cares how frustrated serious photographers are.

I use them all the time. I love Silver Efex. (Of course I ordered the Nik academic bundle a few days before finally finding a B&W conversion method that truly emulates the films I love, but Silver Efex makes it so easy.)

Tons of examples (with conversion details) in my art nude (18+) photostream, on flickr.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.