Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old May 17, 2013, 03:39 PM   #26
Smileyboy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Smileyboy
I've never had an iPhone without a case. Same for my iP5. I like to keep them a year and resale them the following year for the new one. Hence my white iP5 is in perfect shape.
Old May 18, 2013, 02:01 AM   #27
Fouracre44
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicated View Post
Just last week I decided to take off the case on my iPhone 5 and rock it "naked". The moment I took it off, I said to myself:

What a beautiful piece of art.

No exaggeration. It truly is one of the most meticulously crafted phones. One shouldn't cover it with cheap plastic, which ruins the beauty. You don't cover your car with a plastic wrap, either. It's scratched, and has got some minor dings here and there, but I truly used and enjoyed my phone, and they are testaments to that. Nothing can be kept as new once you open the box, it will all start aging, so why not just use it as it is meant to be?

A few years down the road, when I look at the phone again, I'll have that nostalgic feeling that it was a phone that I liked and stayed with me for a year or two.

Now if you're planning to sell it, that's a different story, and I fully understand people's concerns on this.
Man honestly, comparitvely, if the iphone was built as well as most cars you wouldn't need the case. And the sheer fact is that people are prone to drop their smart phones. The iphone 5's anodized aluminum will scratch against a tabletop, bench or with keys in the same pocket. You seem to be coming up with all this folksy wisdom. The truth is that these phones break easy compared to phones liek the HTC ONE, galaxy s4 etc.. HTC One figured out how to do what the iphone tried in terms of design and durabilty.

Put a case on it, because a scratched up iphone does not feel " nostalgic " it makes you look like an idiot who didn't care about their phone.

In my opinion the iphone 5 is too small and light and looks and feels more solid with a case, even a slim case if you must. I prefer otterbox products, because I invested $690 in a HTC one and although it looks amazing with the case off, now I am able to operate the device in my work life too, and if I go out to the pub and drop the phone, then it's taken care of. What happens when you drop your iphone 5 man, I guarentee %90 percent of the time your screen and back will be dropped. Never happened once with a case.
Fouracre44 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 09:05 AM   #28
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouracre44 View Post
Man honestly, comparitvely, if the iphone was built as well as most cars you wouldn't need the case. And the sheer fact is that people are prone to drop their smart phones. The iphone 5's anodized aluminum will scratch against a tabletop, bench or with keys in the same pocket. You seem to be coming up with all this folksy wisdom. The truth is that these phones break easy compared to phones liek the HTC ONE, galaxy s4 etc.. HTC One figured out how to do what the iphone tried in terms of design and durabilty.

Put a case on it, because a scratched up iphone does not feel " nostalgic " it makes you look like an idiot who didn't care about their phone.

In my opinion the iphone 5 is too small and light and looks and feels more solid with a case, even a slim case if you must. I prefer otterbox products, because I invested $690 in a HTC one and although it looks amazing with the case off, now I am able to operate the device in my work life too, and if I go out to the pub and drop the phone, then it's taken care of. What happens when you drop your iphone 5 man, I guarentee %90 percent of the time your screen and back will be dropped. Never happened once with a case.
Just because you don't like seeing scratches doesn't mean one is an idiot for not disliking them. Just because you drop your phone doesn't mean everyone drops theirs 90% of the time. The last time I dropped my phone was in 2011. Can you get off your high horse and see not everyone has to do things the way you do?

Also, HTC One is no more scratch proof than the iPhone 5. If you want to proselytize how more durable it is than the iPhone 5 when they're made out of the exact same material and with the exact same process, maybe you should show us a proof. My bet is your claim that the iPhone 5 is less durable comes from (1) you've never used it, or (2) you're eating up everything the media says. If I were to get an HTC One, I wouldn't get a case either.

Last edited by Simplicated; May 18, 2013 at 09:34 AM.
Simplicated is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 09:29 AM   #29
TommyA6
macrumors 6502a

Smile

Quote:

A fake unibody phone made from the same materials as the iPhone 5 is suddenly more scratch and drop proof . Just watch a few drop tests a see how one's unibody fares (here's a clue... popped speakers grills, and huge dents on the back).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwE9PGDnlvs

As for the galaxy s4...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjE__rr7J1s

----------

I've had my white iPhone 5 since the beginning of November (no case of course) and dropped it only once on a wooden floor (a few really, really small scratches and mini dents on it's side - barely visible with a naked eye).
TommyA6 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 09:38 AM   #30
BENJMNS
macrumors 6502

Spoiled people problems
BENJMNS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 09:41 AM   #31
PatrickCocoa
macrumors 6502a

I want it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampireszombies View Post
I always see these stories of people going "naked", but I always wondered if people are aware that you can get a "naked" iphone and spend ~$15 for a front and back screen protector (a nice clear one) and still protect it and have your nakedness.
I am a naked iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch 5 user.

I am aware that you can buy front screen protectors and back protectors.

I have used a front screen protector and did not like it - it changes the feel of the screen too much (for my taste).

I don't use a back protector because I don't care if the back gets scratched.
Old May 18, 2013, 06:34 PM   #32
Fouracre44
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicated View Post
Just because you don't like seeing scratches doesn't mean one is an idiot for not disliking them. Just because you drop your phone doesn't mean everyone drops theirs 90% of the time. The last time I dropped my phone was in 2011. Can you get off your high horse and see not everyone has to do things the way you do?

Also, HTC One is no more scratch proof than the iPhone 5. If you want to proselytize how more durable it is than the iPhone 5 when they're made out of the exact same material and with the exact same process, maybe you should show us a proof. My bet is your claim that the iPhone 5 is less durable comes from (1) you've never used it, or (2) you're eating up everything the media says. If I were to get an HTC One, I wouldn't get a case either.
Your blind mate, the iphone 5 is not built like the HTC one, I honestly dont care about scratches, And I'm more careful with my phone than %99 of people I know, not only that but I keep it in a case and I have insurance on the device. There was quality control issues on apple's iphone 5 in several of the first batches. Apple responded by saying the scuffing is normal, I'm dead set telling you, the force it requires to actually ruin that anodized aluminum is quite small. Youll know when it happens, it won't happen to everyone just some people.

I have used the iphone 5, you seem to think I'm making a personal vendetta against iphone 5 owners or something. On the contrary, I love the iPhone 5, I just truly believe your asking for trouble if you don't use a case. Of course this is only my opinion. I'm eating up everything in the media says? Dude, before I bought the HTC one, I went and researched, tried & tested the HTC one, xperia z, samsung galaxy s4 & the iphone 5. I even talked to Telstra and he said heaps of people are trying to return their iphones because of the scuffing issue. Yes, HTC one has it's own problems no doubt, but it's just built better than the iphone, its got a better os and better specs, it is the best phone out at the moment, I bought it because I liked it, not because it's the best. You can accept it and still like the iphone 5 the best. I haven't dropped my phone once this year and up until my 4s was stolen from my bag, It was in great condition.
Fouracre44 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 06:29 AM   #33
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

Quote:
There was quality control issues on apple's iphone 5 in several of the first batches. Apple responded by saying the scuffing is normal, I'm dead set telling you, the force it requires to actually ruin that anodized aluminum is quite small. Youll know when it happens, it won't happen to everyone just some people.
Apple did not say scratches out of the box are normal. Phil Schiller responded to someone who asked about himself scratching the iPhone 5. Who's blind, to misleading media coverage, here?

Quote:
I have used the iphone 5, you seem to think I'm making a personal vendetta against iphone 5 owners or something. On the contrary, I love the iPhone 5, I just truly believe your asking for trouble if you don't use a case.
And then I am called blind and an idiot for not using a case.

Quote:
Your blind mate, the iphone 5 is not built like the HTC one, I honestly dont care about scratches, And I'm more careful with my phone than %99 of people I know, not only that but I keep it in a case and I have insurance on the device.
The HTC One is made out of aluminum, has the CNC process for the chamfered edges, and the unibody construction. All of these were also the processes in the making of an iPhone 5.

If you feel so deeply that the HTC One is built better than the iPhone 5, why do you keep it in a case? Your logic hurts my brain so much.

Quote:
Of course this is only my opinion. I'm eating up everything in the media says? Dude, before I bought the HTC one, I went and researched, tried & tested the HTC one, xperia z, samsung galaxy s4 & the iphone 5. I even talked to Telstra and he said heaps of people are trying to return their iphones because of the scuffing issue. Yes, HTC one has it's own problems no doubt, but it's just built better than the iphone, its got a better os and better specs, it is the best phone out at the moment, I bought it because I liked it, not because it's the best. You can accept it and still like the iphone 5 the best. I haven't dropped my phone once this year and up until my 4s was stolen from my bag, It was in great condition.
Endless HTC One preaching here, which in no way relates to putting on cases. I think it's the best Android phone, and I didn't even indicate my preference in my previous response.
Simplicated is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 07:17 AM   #34
LaynieGorilla
macrumors 6502

While I can't say that I would ever go "naked" ( too many preventable scratches and dings for my taste), I have noticed that I'm a lot less cautious with my iPhone 5 as I was with my iPhone 4. Both of my phones started out with the Griffith Survivor Case (bulkier than an Otterbox) but with the iPhone 5 I'm now on a bumper like case with a detachable clear back.

I think with the iPhone 5 it's a combination of the phone being a lot sturdier than the iPhone 4/4s and the thin cases being a lot more protecting. I'm not "naked" but I'm definitely glad I get to go "thin" , only keeping the survivor for when I may possibly need that extra protection.
LaynieGorilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone