Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garycurtis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
My external 1Tb drive is partitioned into 2 sections for Time Machine backups. My wife's MBP laptop was just replaced, so I dumped all her data onto the new computer and want to clear what was preserved on one of the TM partitions and start anew.

He do I do that? Just drag and dump folders to the trash, of use Disk Utility to erase that partition? My reasons. The dead MBP was not an Intel chip unit, while the new one is, so all backups of the system are invalid.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
My external 1Tb drive is partitioned into 2 sections for Time Machine backups. My wife's MBP laptop was just replaced, so I dumped all her data onto the new computer and want to clear what was preserved on one of the TM partitions and start anew.

He do I do that? Just drag and dump folders to the trash, of use Disk Utility to erase that partition? My reasons. The dead MBP was not an Intel chip unit, while the new one is, so all backups of the system are invalid.

As long as you make sure to get only the partition that contains her stuff disk utility is the best way to make sure you fully clean it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.