Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
How would you compare Dead Island to Left 4 Dead, (which I consider to be the ultimate zombie gaming experience)?

Left 4 Dead has great atmosphere and tension but ultimately it is an FPS all about managing ammo and an arsenal of guns. Dead Island is more focused on the hand-to-hand combat, stat building and weapon crafting, which I think is more appropriate for a zombie game... plus the zombies in Dead Island are mostly slow and stupid, the way zombies should be in the classic Romero style. For sure Dead Island is dumb, lacking the overall polish of L4D, but it's all the more fun for it, the same way that the B-movies of Romero have a special place in the hearts of horror fans in a way that something more sophisticated like 28 Days Later never could.
2772228.jpg

Voodoofreak

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2012
Currently playing Diablo 3. Started Civ 5 and purchased Empire: Total War. Can't wait for FFXIV to come out along with Diablo 3 on PS3.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Left 4 Dead has great atmosphere and tension but ultimately it is an FPS all about managing ammo and an arsenal of guns. Dead Island is more focused on the hand-to-hand combat, stat building and weapon crafting, which I think is more appropriate for a zombie game... plus the zombies in Dead Island are mostly slow and stupid, the way zombies should be in the classic Romero style. For sure Dead Island is dumb, lacking the overall polish of L4D, but it's all the more fun for it, the same way that the B-movies of Romero have a special place in the hearts of horror fans in a way that something more sophisticated like 28 Days Later never could.

Thanks for the info! I was really hoping for split screen coop, but according to this Cooptimus Link- no. :(

Sparky445

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2013
Halo demo is a good game for mac. Plus you can play with players all around thr world on multiplayer. :)

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Just finished Bioshocks 1 and 2; Now Im getting into some Dead Island Riptide with casual side-play of Just Cause 2 and Garry's Mod

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.