Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TweakOnline

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Europe
Hey guys,

Today, the 2TB Time Capsule is on sale for just under the €250,- euro's nearby my home.

I own a MacBook Pro 15'' Retina, an iPad, iPhone and Apple TV.
Within few months I'm going to buy a iMac too, so I have to make the decision.

Since last year I got my eyes on an Apple Time Capsule, because I want to have an Apple 'eco system' in my home. I want to backup my files, like my Aperture library, iTunes movies, music, documents and all stuff like that.

I also want to backup my MacBook, just instead if it crashes (I always like to test beta's, so I could switch easy back if I want to downgrade to a lower version of OS X).

I got some questions about the Time Capsule by itself, hope you guys can answer them.

1. Does the Time Capsule support Windows in a good way?
I mean, I got 2 desktops in my home and it is really important to get fast internet.

2. Is the 2TB drive just like my Dropbox folder?
I got Dropbox installed on my Mac and Windows platforms, and it is just like a seperate folder I can access. Is the Time Capsule just like that?

3. Do I have access to the 2TB partition, or just a little of that?

4. Can I play (iTunes converted) movies directly on my Apple TV via the Time Capsule?

5. Can I access the files placed on the Time Capsule also on a Windows pc, iPhone or iPad?

Thank you very much, I'm pretty curious about it! :)

Oh, last but not least, in various games like Call of Duty (which I play a lot on my PS3) it says my 'nat' is 'open'. In the past I had some issues with the 'nat' of my router, I hope the Time Capsule won't be so difficult to configure?

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I also want to backup my MacBook, just instead if it crashes (I always like to test beta's, so I could switch easy back if I want to downgrade to a lower version of OS X).

This is all the reason you need to have a Time Capsule, but if I wanted an easy route to downgrade the OS, I wouldn't be doing it with Time Capsule. I'd just connect an external drive.

If you're going to store a full system on it and expect to have multiple full systems, it's going to fill up really fast. If you're not already familiar with how Time Machine works, you should try that first to make sure it's right for your needs.

Restoring a full system from Time Capsule is also a lengthy endeavor. It's not something you should take lightly.

1. Does the Time Capsule support Windows in a good way?
I mean, I got 2 desktops in my home and it is really important to get fast internet.
I think you're asking if it's compatible with WiFi on PCs. Yes. You can access it as a network drive from a PC too, though I don't do that on my setup.

2. Is the 2TB drive just like my Dropbox folder?
I got Dropbox installed on my Mac and Windows platforms, and it is just like a seperate folder I can access. Is the Time Capsule just like that?
Yeah. You can add folders to your Time Capsule drive to use as a file drop.

3. Do I have access to the 2TB partition, or just a little of that?
You can use as much of it as you want.

Oh, last but not least, in various games like Call of Duty (which I play a lot on my PS3) it says my 'nat' is 'open'. In the past I had some issues with the 'nat' of my router, I hope the Time Capsule won't be so difficult to configure?
You're going to want to consider how painful it's going to be to your gaming if a Time Capsule backup starts in the middle of a game. The backups can eat up enough of your WiFi bandwidth to cause problems.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
Yes, it works from a PC environment and you can store files there easily enough. The larger area allows for more incremental backups. It won't make internet pipe coming into your house faster but it will speed up the network within your walls if you're used to an older router.

I like my TC because backups are one less thing I have to worry about and when I need to restore a file, it's really easy to restore just the item I need.

TweakOnline

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Europe
So in my case, the Time Capsule is a bad option?

I mean, read and write speeds aren't good and it could make trouble with the internet connection when it's syncing with my MacBook while I'm playing Call of Duty or something like that... True?

Btw, could I play / stream (iTunes converted) movies from the Time Capsule on my Apple TV 3 with (burned in) subtitles?

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
So in my case, the Time Capsule is a bad option?

I mean, read and write speeds aren't good and it could make trouble with the internet connection when it's syncing with my MacBook while I'm playing Call of Duty or something like that... True?

Btw, could I play / stream (iTunes converted) movies from the Time Capsule on my Apple TV 3 with (burned in) subtitles?

It partially depends on how far away from the router you are. If you're relatively near it, then you'll get full 802.11n speeds, which is more than enough to accommodate the HDD and most of what else you could be doing. The farther you get from it, the slower the speeds you'll get, and at some point the backups will start hogging WiFi. It really just depends on your setup.

TweakOnline

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Europe
It partially depends on how far away from the router you are. If you're relatively near it, then you'll get full 802.11n speeds, which is more than enough to accommodate the HDD and most of what else you could be doing. The farther you get from it, the slower the speeds you'll get, and at some point the backups will start hogging WiFi. It really just depends on your setup.

My house isn't that big but because the router will placed on the left side of my home, the signal has to be stronger to get internet in my garden too.

Do you think the Time Capsule will give me up to 12 meters of wifi?

TweakOnline

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Europe
Great!

But can I also stream movies directly from the Time Capsule to my Apple TV3 without having a jailbreak or computer?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Not sure how experience from others is but I had two defect TC (1TB and 2TB). Somehow that product didn't impressed me at all. For a backup solution I expect more reliability.
That said: the functionality of the software (Time Machine) is nice and user friendly; I might had bad luck with the disks two times in a raw.

If you get a TC just make sure to have additional backup of important stuff to be prepared in case of bad luck (which is anyway a good idea).

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Great!

But can I also stream movies directly from the Time Capsule to my Apple TV3 without having a jailbreak or computer?

You'll have to partition the Time Capsule to do this and then the limit will be how quickly your computer can access the files on the TC, as you can not stream directly from Time Capsule to ATV.

If I were you, I'd buy a decent USB3 or TB peripheral and do your Time machine back-ups that way. It will also be physically connected to your computer so getting movies to stream to your ATV will be snappier if that is your main consideration for use.

The initial TC back-up and encoding takes a long time which is a limitation of how it can physically be attached to a computer. Once you do the initial back-up everything is fine over wifi but it is recommended you do the initial back-up over a physical connection. Which is neither USB3 nor TB so not terribly fast.

Beside, the Time Machine software makes the use of ANY external hard drive a simple task IDENTICAL to how the computer sees a TC so you should not have any reservations about that.

I would only go for TC if you also need an Apple branded router. Because it does work better with iPhones and iPads. Whatever people say about settings!

But if the router is your motivation, the price of an Airport Express base station also provides some options like putting a printer elsewhere in your house, air-play of music by hooking it to speakers and/or Amp depending on quality of sound you need etc.

The price of a Wester Digital external hard drive and an Airport Express will probably be LOWER than that of a TC of comparable storage and gives you more options in my view

TweakOnline

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Europe
You'll have to partition the Time Capsule to do this and then the limit will be how quickly your computer can access the files on the TC, as you can not stream directly from Time Capsule to ATV.

If I were you, I'd buy a decent USB3 or TB peripheral and do your Time machine back-ups that way. It will also be physically connected to your computer so getting movies to stream to your ATV will be snappier if that is your main consideration for use.

The initial TC back-up and encoding takes a long time which is a limitation of how it can physically be attached to a computer. Once you do the initial back-up everything is fine over wifi but it is recommended you do the initial back-up over a physical connection. Which is neither USB3 nor TB so not terribly fast.

Beside, the Time Machine software makes the use of ANY external hard drive a simple task IDENTICAL to how the computer sees a TC so you should not have any reservations about that.

I would only go for TC if you also need an Apple branded router. Because it does work better with iPhones and iPads. Whatever people say about settings!

But if the router is your motivation, the price of an Airport Express base station also provides some options like putting a printer elsewhere in your house, air-play of music by hooking it to speakers and/or Amp depending on quality of sound you need etc.

The price of a Wester Digital external hard drive and an Airport Express will probably be LOWER than that of a TC of comparable storage and gives you more options in my view

Well, the 'big' thing for me is that I have to keep my MacBook open while I'm watching video's on my ATV3. I thought the Time Capsule could stream video's directly to my ATV... but it isn't.

I think I'm going to wait for the next generation Time Capsule's, hopefully they will integrate features like these.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Well, the 'big' thing for me is that I have to keep my MacBook open while I'm watching video's on my ATV3. I thought the Time Capsule could stream video's directly to my ATV... but it isn't.

I think I'm going to wait for the next generation Time Capsule's, hopefully they will integrate features like these.

There are alternatives...All you'd need to do is export your video file to the device and it'll stream to your TV...

like this:

http://www.dabs.com/products/western-digital-tv-live-streaming-media-player-7R19.html?src=2

TweakOnline

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Europe
There are alternatives...All you'd need to do is export your video file to the device and it'll stream to your TV...

like this:

http://www.dabs.com/products/western-digital-tv-live-streaming-media-player-7R19.html?src=2

I understand, but the meaning of this everything is to create an Apple eco system in my home. I thought the Time Capsule would support streaming to the ATV, but unfortunately it doesn't.

The best alternative for me is to put the movies of my iTunes library on my iPhone or iPad and then stream it to the ATV. The big issue is that I only have a 16GB iPhone and iPad, so I was searching for a better = bigger option. ;)

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I have to keep my MacBook open while I'm watching video's on my ATV3.

The concept of second screen may be more powerful than I had anticipated, but if you MUST keep your MacBook open whilst watching videos on ATV3, I assume you won't be doing anything majorly processor intensive? In which case, use your iPad as a second screen and use your MacBook to stream to ATV3. A much more elegant solution and with the MacBook in play it allows you greater storage capacity...

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
A bigger better option would be a good router AEBS and a Synology NAS. Much more capable & flexible than the TC but you still need iTunes running for HomeSharing.

Synology has beta software that'll AirPlay to an ATV but I've had no luck getting it working on my media.
(You need a browser to start video playback but no iTunes)

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I decided against time capsule and went with Western Digital's My Book Live Duo and cannot be happier. It backs up 3 iPads, 2 MacbookPros, 2 iPhones and is used as a webdav server and personal cloud storage.

You can easily add more space via USB connected drive if you wish.

Good luck either way.

TweakOnline

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Europe
i just bought the TC, it is faster than other routers i had

I just bought a Apple Aiport Extreme router, to extend my WiFi coverage in my home. Works pretty well, except that the 5Ghz modes goes offline for 30 seconds randomly, pretty weird.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I have a TC, i ended up using it as nothing more than an expensive network hub.

I hung a Drobo of the USB port for storing my iTunes library, i backup my macbook pro (but not my imac) to the TC, my iMac backs up to a 4TB raid array via Thunderbolt,

the WiFi i only use to connect my iPhone and iPad Mini 2, because wifi is shockingly bad if you live anywhere built up nowadays, too many competing signals

TweakOnline

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Europe
I have a TC, i ended up using it as nothing more than an expensive network hub.

I hung a Drobo of the USB port for storing my iTunes library, i backup my macbook pro (but not my imac) to the TC, my iMac backs up to a 4TB raid array via Thunderbolt,

the WiFi i only use to connect my iPhone and iPad Mini 2, because wifi is shockingly bad if you live anywhere built up nowadays, too many competing signals

Yes, I agree with that! :)

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Got one as my original model was filled. What a great device, vastly better than I was expecting.

I was continually getting kicked off the internet if a neighbor went on-line. No more. I get on and stay on without any strange issues.

Great coverage, get reception in far away rooms and out in the yard where I did not before.

Speed is substantially better, why I do not know. Perhaps just because of a stronger signal, but even close by it is faster and my iPhone and MBP are old, do not benefit from the new standards. I can watch movies, which before were stuttering and being weird.

And my ISP speeds here are not good due to bad local wiring and indifferent phone company attitudes to making it up to date.

For these reasons that I know about, it is recommended.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.