Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:15 AM   #1
ChazUK
macrumors 603

#DroidRage - did it backfire?

Looks liek Microsoft are on the crusade of trying to belittle their competitors instead of competing. Ballmer did it against the iPhone and it seems the WindowsPhone twitter account is at it again with the second #droidrage account, offering the chance of some kind of recompense in return.

There has been a lot of press coverage saying it's now backfired with #WindowsRage popping up from Twitter and on Google Plus.

http://betanews.com/2012/12/06/micro...wsrage-trends/

Quote:
What was Microsoft thinking? The software giant initiated a campaign on Twitter, dubbed #DroidRage, inviting Android users to share their "malware horror stories", only to have it backfire spectacularly shortly afterwards. A huge number of anti-Microsoft posts with the #WindowsRage hashtag appeared on Twitter and Google+, almost immediately.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57...n-doesnt-take/
Quote:
Call it a Microsoft holiday tradition. The annual #DroidRage Twitter campaign is back.
The general idea of #DroidRage is to "share your Android malware horror story."

And while there are some tweets supporting Microsoft, they aren't easy to find -- despite this tweet by Microsoft: "Yikes! Hundreds of #DroidRage stories already since our tweet last night."
Instead, the tweets are trending toward flaming Windows.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/adrianki...ign-backfires/
Quote:
A Twitter campaign organized by Microsoft to get Android users to share their malware “horror story” in exchange for a chance to win a new Windows Phone handset has backfired.
http://readwrite.com/2012/12/05/wind...icrosofts-face

Quote:
In an attempt to highlight the Android operating systems susceptibility to malware, the Windows Phone twitter account asked its followers on Wednesday to tell a “horror story” of Android malware with the hashtag #DroidRage.

Predictably, this is not working out all that well for Microsoft. We have seen time and again how hashtag marketing campaigns on Twitter have turned against their creators and made the company making the call-to-action look foolish. To a certain extent, that is precisely what is happening to Microsoft and its #DroidRage stunt.
I'm not a massive fan of this smear type marketing, especially when they offer up prizes (this being a Windows Phone) for stories like this. The potential for people to flat out lie in the chances of getting a free phone are immense.

Still, I love a negative bit of smear that backfires (like it did with Motorola and Apple's maps).

IMO, it's a fail. Your thoughts?

Play nice people. Negative ad campaigns aren't for everyone.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:55 AM   #2
mikegasol
Banned

Windows trying to call another product out for virus problems is the very definition of irony.
mikegasol is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:04 PM   #3
VulchR
macrumors 68000

So it starts ... MS versus Google. <Gets popcorn>
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:54 PM   #4
cuzo
macrumors 6502

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354834428.384511.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	382006

Lol
cuzo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:01 AM   #5
chris2k5
Banned

Microsoft knows iOS going to be #1 for a long time so they are aiming for the #2 spot (Android).

This is going to be great.
chris2k5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:23 AM   #6
DanteMann
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2k5 View Post
Microsoft knows iOS going to be #1 for a long time so they are aiming for the #2 spot (Android).

iOS number 1? That's news to me. Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case you forgot the /s.
But just in case you weren't being sarcastic and truly believe iOS is number 1, then let me share this with you.

DanteMann is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:46 AM   #7
chris2k5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteMann View Post
iOS number 1? That's news to me. Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case you forgot the /s.
But just in case you weren't being sarcastic and truly believe iOS is number 1, then let me share this with you.

Where in my post did I mention market share? Sometimes reading and understanding a post will make one less foolish in their response.
chris2k5 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:47 AM   #8
DanteMann
Banned

Quote:
Where in my post did I mention market share?
Hmmm, so where exactly in your post do you state what you meant by iOS being "number one?" Is there any other stat you could have been talking about? Sorry, but you left it completely open to interpretation, and when someone says Microsoft KNOWS iOS is going to be number 1 for a long time, and Android #2, what else could you have meant besides market share? If you're talking on behalf of Microsoft, as you were, then the only thing they care about is market share. Microsoft isn't some emotional fanboy. Their a corporation that's in the business of selling their product and gaining market share. Hence, my post. So please explain to me where I went wrong with this LOGIC.

Quote:
Sometimes reading and understanding a post will make one less foolish in their response.
The irony.

Last edited by DanteMann; Dec 9, 2012 at 12:54 AM.
DanteMann is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:15 AM   #9
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Reading the backfiring responses is pretty funny. Microsoft has some nerve.
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:59 AM   #10
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteMann View Post
Hmmm, so where exactly in your post do you state what you meant by iOS being "number one?" Is there any other stat you could have been talking about?
^^ This! I took him to mean market share as well.
SlCKB0Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:38 AM   #11
siiip5
Banned

Quote:

What is iOS #1 at? The OS is outdated and full of bugs, but it does okay in sales within N Americs and England. Everywhere else in the world, the iPhone barley sells at all. Americans tend to have this impression that the rest of the world must be like the US. Simply not the case.
siiip5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:42 AM   #12
iBookG4user
macrumors 604

Send a message via MSN to iBookG4user
Quote:
Originally Posted by siiip5 View Post
What is iOS #1 at? The OS is outdated and full of bugs, but it does okay in sales within N Americs and England. Everywhere else in the world, the iPhone barley sells at all. Americans tend to have this impression that the rest of the world must be like the US. Simply not the case.
Europeans have a tendency to overgeneralize

Yes, this statement is ironic.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:26 AM   #13
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlCKB0Y View Post
^^ This! I took him to mean market share as well.
Pretty much everything else is opinion based so aside from market share there is not much else....
cynics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:28 AM   #14
siiip5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBookG4user View Post
Europeans have a tendency to overgeneralize

Yes, this statement is ironic.
I am not European. But thanks for generalizing.
siiip5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Tags
droidrage, fail, microsoft, windowsphone, windowsrage