Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 5, 2013, 07:58 AM   #51
HishamAkhtar
macrumors 6502

Probably not for a while...

It's fair to say the 5 will be ligher and more efficient but where does everyone see the tablet market progressing to in the next few years?

What are long term changes you'd like to see in the iPad?
HishamAkhtar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 06:21 PM   #52
Fant
macrumors member

Honestly I'm still amazed at how fast and how good my iPad 3 looks. I don't see what they could release to make me upgrade. But I'm sure apple come out with one thinner lighter and sexier. But for the time being I'm very happy with my iPad 3.
Fant is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 06:54 PM   #53
aPple nErd
macrumors 65816

I'm a freshman in high school and my iPad 3 is still rocking 5.1.1 and it will until it gets toslow and leggy, or I buy a new one, so ya probbobly when I go to Coledge
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:59 PM   #54
.Asa
macrumors regular

Here's my policy:
When my device no longer runs the current OS, I'll upgrade. I currently have an iPad 3 and iPod touch 4, both one generation old, but they still run the latest OS and apps.
I'm hoping the iPad 3 will support iOS 7, so I won't have to buy a new one until 2014, which will probably be the sixth or maybe even seventh generation.
I have tried out my friend's iPad minis, and the ones in the store, but I find them too small. I'm an iPad power user, it is my primary device for word processing, web browsing, and other boring school stuff, and I love gaming on the iPad. An iPad mini won't cut it for me, not even if it has a retina display.
.Asa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:58 PM   #55
BenTrovato
macrumors 6502a

My ipad 2 was good enough and is still good enough. When I got the 3, I couldn't believe I didn't upgrade sooner. When I got the 4, the speed and smoothness had me once again saying, I couldn't believe I didn't upgrade sooner. While I have the 4, I'm thinking I hope this lasts forever, I don't need another one. That's technology for you - you never need the latest and greatest. The ipad 2 is still fine today but if you have money to spend and want the best experience, you decide when and if that time comes for you.
BenTrovato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:19 PM   #56
neutrino23
macrumors 65816

I have a 3 and will definitely get the 5. This is my work machine. I create and give presentations, take notes, read iBooks (I make these on the MBP with iBooks Author for our customers and sales reps) and read PDFs. I was tempted by the higher speed of the 4 but in holding out for the5.

I expect nothing dramatic but a faster processor, better digitizer, maybe lighter and thinner. Stereo speakers would be nice. I'd also like to see Apple standardize some sort of method for attaching external lenses to the backside camera. Maybe we'll see 802.11ac?

I would like to see a larger format, A4 or letter size, with the same screen resolution. I'd also like to have iOS upgraded to allow two apps to share the screen at the same time. I'd like to read a PDF in GoodReader while typing comments in email or ProjectBook. It would also be nice to watch a video while doing something else. I'm not holding my breath.
neutrino23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:07 AM   #57
WashupDawg
macrumors member

I'll be really interested in swapping my iPad 3 with a Retina Mini. But only if it has an A6X processor, or something around that level of performance.
WashupDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:07 PM   #58
Night Spring
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino23 View Post
It would also be nice to watch a video while doing something else.
I see this statement all the time, and I always wonder what other things people want to do while watching a video. I do sometimes find myself just wanting to listen to the audio of a video while doing something else, but no way can I *watch* a video and do something else at the same time!
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:06 PM   #59
tann
macrumors 65816

I will likely get the first 'big' iPad released after mid 2014. Got my 3 in March 2012, so I will likely wait as long as I can really. Well or until apps can't run on it.

Also, can't justify an upgrade to 4, 5 will likely be a nice improvement as well as 6 but imagine the difference between a 3 and a late 2014!!

If the mini is retina by then... and is super powerful then I would consider one of those instead. Amazingly light!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:15 AM   #60
pat park
macrumors 6502a

I'm selling my iPad 3 on eBay and using that to fund an iPad 4. I figured the resale value would probably go down further if I waited. I tried the 4 and it is nice. I noticed it to be 'snappier' all around and it's similar to the performance upgrade between the iPhone 4 vs iPhone 5. My perception at least.

No interest in the mini. It is cool, but I have an iPhone 5 for the smaller screen experience.

Going with a iPad 4, 16GB, Verizon. Black.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:16 AM   #61
Lesser Evets
macrumors 68030

iPad 6.

That will probably be the one to get.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:41 PM   #62
hovscorpion12
macrumors 6502

My iPad 3 runs amazing compared to the 1st generation 2010 iPad. My iPad performs like the 2004 aluminum body 17" PowerBook G4. There are no signs of lag, poor performance. Most likely when Apple produces a 2Ghz+ W/ more then 1GB of RAM, better resolution. Then I'll see. Ultimately, when Apple can match the iPad to the MacBook Pro, that's when I'll fork over my income. The same can be said for my iPhone 5. Since the iPhone 5 is already a beast with the 1.3 Ghz Dual core processor and 1GB of ram with 4" screen, it will take a lot for me to replace. IPad 3 will last 4-5 years. iPhone 5 will last 5-6 years.
hovscorpion12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:21 PM   #63
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

I'm keeping my iPad 3 until it breaks completely.
Pakaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:43 AM   #64
New2MacOS
macrumors member

I am enjoying my iPad mini so much that I am selling my iPad 3 to a colleague tomorrow. I am able to do everything with the mini that I typically do with the iPad 3, and I value the flexibility of carrying around the mini, e.g., just with a jacket, Scottevest,or with a mini-messenger bag.

I will buy another iPad only when the mini comes out with retina.
New2MacOS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:28 PM   #65
Kolmogorov
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signor S. View Post
I'm using my 3 until the day it dies or until it doesn't perform tasks up to my specifications. So I'm thinking at least iPad 6 if not further.

Until then, long live the iPad 3!!!!!!!
I'm using my 3 until the day it dies or I die...
Kolmogorov is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:00 PM   #66
kevink2
macrumors 6502a

My only issue now with the iPad 3 is having a different cord than my iPhone 5

I bought it with the plans to keep it at least 2 years, maybe 3 if it holds up. Which is why I bought the 64GB model. Not knowing that Apple MAY be going on a more frequent upgrade routine.

I would expect that, even if Apple upgrades more frequently, they will still support new OS's for at least 2 years. The original iPad is like the original 2 iPhones. Apple didn't know just how popular they would be, so were a little limited in OS upgrade options.
kevink2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:03 PM   #67
cperry2
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
I will get a mini if they include retina. I'll get an iPad 5 if it's a serious upgrade over my iPad 3.
pretty much this.
cperry2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:06 PM   #68
Reikochan
macrumors newbie

I plan on keeping mine for at least two more years. I'll only upgrade sooner then that if its something really special that they release before hand or if they decide to drop iOS updates for my device before then.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:24 PM   #69
cperry2
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HishamAkhtar View Post
Probably not for a while...

It's fair to say the 5 will be ligher and more efficient but where does everyone see the tablet market progressing to in the next few years?

What are long term changes you'd like to see in the iPad?
Interesting question. All signs point to an evolutionary progression the things we'd all assume: thinner, lighter, faster, more battery life, better wifi, an even higher build quality (i.e. tougher gorilla glass).

The wild cards are going to be, I think, ways in which the device gains ever more nuanced sensory input and feedback. Wacom tech is an obvious one. Figuring out a way to combine the benefits of LCD and eink is one. 3D gestures will be a big one, just look at Leap Motion for that.

This is a software driven industry now though. A trend I see is more and more reliance on gesture instead of GUI. This is great. Gestures are the keyboard shortcuts of touchscreens.

Another thought in terms of sensory input: I think home automation is going to be a big thing. Look at the Nest thermostat, Philips smart bulbs, wemo by Belkin, etc. Convalescence around your tablet or phone will be a boon to the home automation industry.

I think with increased bandwidth due to 4K video being mainstream, among other things, perhaps a feature like Siri listening to everything you do can be afforded, and Siri could spontaneously interject conversations with suggestions or insightful comments, or respond to questions without being invoked by the home button. I know that sounds kind of creepy now, but it'd be an option and I think people would support that idea by then.

I do think there will be an even bigger "ipad" that runs a special build of OSX; or a special build of ios. There would be real benefits to all kinds of people if they essentially had a small Cintiq to go.

I think all or most of this will happen eventually, but apple won't do it until they can do it right, and the market is right, etc.
cperry2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:43 PM   #70
Chimom79
macrumors member

Send a message via Yahoo to Chimom79
I had the iPad 2, I now have the iPad 3rd gen and I plan to stick with that for a long while. I don't know when I will purchase another one. Im not getting the 4, maybe in a couple yrs I'll buy a new one. I would buy the mini for using in travel and in bed to read and surf, but I have a Galaxy tab 2 7" for that, so Im ok now. If I just had money to burn Id still get one though, but I dont.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:23 PM   #71
Johnnygogo
macrumors member

I won't get another ipad. But I do plan on getting the mini when the next 2 generations come out. Just so it's cheaper, and for me to have at work. Ipad stays home.
Johnnygogo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:28 PM   #72
Peanut207
macrumors 6502

I want the thinner, lighter & new designed iPad 5!

If I wanted the iPad mini I would have gotten the note II
Peanut207 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:31 PM   #73
Nighttracker
macrumors member

Whatever model is available when my 3 dies.
Nighttracker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:05 AM   #74
big samm
macrumors 6502a

Ipad mini with retina display is on my list
Might buy the ipad 5 also... It will depend on the new features it offers!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:29 AM   #75
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighttracker View Post
Whatever model is available when my 3 dies.
My only regret is that I can like this statement but once.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad