Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

titomb345

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I've got a 2012 Volkswagen Jetta with an RNS-315 touchscreen Nav, and I can confirm it does not work on my unit. Worked flawlessly yesterday. Upgrade to iOS 6, and I lose support for AVRCP. This is 100% on Apple. AVRCP is fully backwards compatible. If Apple doesn't fix this in a timely matter.. I'm sad to say I'll have to sell my iPhone 5 and move on the inferior Android phones :(

gotenks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Just wanted to confirm I see these symptoms (no metadata, or control from in-dash unit) for an Alpine CDE-133BT. On an iPhone 4S that was working great on iOS 5.1.1. FYI There is a long thread on the apple discussion forums about this.

May I have the link to the discussion @ apple forums?

gotenks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012

Thanks!

I've got a 2012 Volkswagen Jetta with an RNS-315 touchscreen Nav, and I can confirm it does not work on my unit. Worked flawlessly yesterday. Upgrade to iOS 6, and I lose support for AVRCP. This is 100% on Apple. AVRCP is fully backwards compatible. If Apple doesn't fix this in a timely matter.. I'm sad to say I'll have to sell my iPhone 5 and move on the inferior Android phones :(

Well, there are a lot of issues with different models of car stereo based on the reports I've read on this forum (and I guess there are a lot more of models not working). I hope Apple will address this issue with an update.

AMDENCO

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2010
My Bluetooth controls work fine in my 2012 mazda 3. However when I am listening to podcasts from apples app once the screen locks it will no longer play until I unlock. Sucks it will not play in the background!

a.jfred

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Austin, TX
Just as an FYI: On a whim, I plugged my phone into the ipod connector in the glove box, and controls worked perfectly. I unplugged it, and it kept the control with bluetooth, HOWEVER, when I turned the car off & on again, bluetooth lost functionality again.

My rental car is a 2012 Sonata, which also has bluetooth, and it's the same thing: steering wheel controls don't work, but it'll at least play.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I have a bluetooth receiver in my car. It's new, so I can't compare it to prior iOS 5. That said, the audio has a fizzle in it, and it cuts out after about a minute or so.

gotenks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Just as an FYI: On a whim, I plugged my phone into the ipod connector in the glove box, and controls worked perfectly. I unplugged it, and it kept the control with bluetooth, HOWEVER, when I turned the car off & on again, bluetooth lost functionality again.

Thanks for sharing your findings. I will try this later today.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

Interesting as I have the same radio and was told that was normal. Hmm...

gotenks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
I've just read this post on the Apple forum:

Well, I'm not sure if this is good news or bad news, but my fedex driver dropped off my iphone 5 this morning to my office on his first stop. I chatted with him yesterday

I updated the iphone 5, synced it to itunes, and walked out to my truck. Surprisingly it is working as designed. There are no problems at all. Bluetooth controls on my steering wheel are working again, I have artist track info, etc on my head unit, and it sounds crystal clear.

The bad news, I have a feeling since the iphone 5 works fine, it will not be fixed as aggressively for those staying with the 4/4s.

I feel bad for you guys and I hope they have a quick resolution for you.

I can tell you with certainty, that my parrot controlled pioneer head unit does not work with the iphone 4 or iphone 4s on iOS6, however the iphone 5 running iOS6 is working flawlessly.

All I can say is, man is this phone fast!!! Track changing is instant, display on head unit is much faster!

:(

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I'm going to just return my Bluetooth adapter and go back to hardwired with an adapter for the iPhone 5. I see there are a few new bluetooth adapters with 4.0 support, I'll try one of those later on.

Just really annoying when Apple REMOVES functionality, that is still very recent and not that of 5-10 + years old, but more like recently introduced.

gotenks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Just received an official answer from Pioneer USA about the issue!

Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.

Pioneer is aware, has reported it to engineers for investigation. We are working with Apple to determine a solution. We have no ETA on conclusion of investigation.

Sincerely,

Luana
Customer Service Representative

Seems good news, if it wasn't for the "no ETA".

davidra

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Remote control works fine on three of my headsets....Lubix, Sony and Motorola. Sounds like it's pretty much limited to car units??

eoren1

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Just tried iPad 3 with iOS 6 over BT to newly installed Sony mex-bt4000p and everything seems to work. Can skip tracks through radio controls. Song info shows up. Hope the iPhone 5 works just as well...will know in few weeks.

gotenks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Any news guys? I still can't get my iPhone 4 fully working with my Pioneer unit. :(

philrunclimb

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2010
Alpine car stereo same prob

HI - want to highlight this is a widespread problem.

I have a 3 week old £300 Alpine car stereo...one day I could control streaming bluetooth audio from my iphone4... the next day I could not..thanks to Apple's iOS upgrade.

I think Apple (like all big software companies) is saying that it's up to people like Alpine to catch up... grrrrr

Very annoying - anyone got any clues when a solution might happen?

I was very happy BEFORE my upgrade

Phil

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
iP5. iOS 6.0.1 BT working perfectly in 2012 RX350, loaner 2013 RX350 (including album art), and with several BT stereo headsets. Full steering wheel controls, etc.

Same with wife's iP4.

HelpfulUser

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
Pioneer finally released an update for the receiver's Bluetooth firmware. I just updated mine (I had to get it from the European site), and it works as it did before. I have the AVH-4400BT, but it appears they released an update for several others. I had to update my Bluetooth software on my crappy HP Laptop before it would communicate with the head unit, but once I did, it was flawless. Don't be scared, the receiver takes about 2 minutes to install the new firmware so it will display "updating" for about that long. Finally, I like my Pioneer receiver again.

http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/support/software/AVH-4400BT/page.html

gotenks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Pioneer finally released an update for the receiver's Bluetooth firmware. I just updated mine (I had to get it from the European site), and it works as it did before. I have the AVH-4400BT, but it appears they released an update for several others. I had to update my Bluetooth software on my crappy HP Laptop before it would communicate with the head unit, but once I did, it was flawless. Don't be scared, the receiver takes about 2 minutes to install the new firmware so it will display "updating" for about that long. Finally, I like my Pioneer receiver again.

http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/support/software/AVH-4400BT/page.html

GREAT news! Thanks for sharing. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.