Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TaylorWright619

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
Hi all,

I bought my iPhone 5 on the release day and as a result of having it without a case the entire time, from a few drops etc, there is a bit of damage.

I was just wondering if the damage to the outside case which include a few minor scratches and also a few dints, does this effect the iPhone signal in anyway? Or any other features of the phone for that matter? Or is it purely cosmetic?

Thanks,
Taylor

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
It's purely cosmetic. Unless the drops were so hard that there was internal damage, there should be no change to signal reception.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Hi all,

I bought my iPhone 5 on the release day and as a result of having it without a case the entire time, from a few drops etc, there is a bit of damage.

I was just wondering if the damage to the outside case which include a few minor scratches and also a few dints, does this effect the iPhone signal in anyway? Or any other features of the phone for that matter? Or is it purely cosmetic?

Thanks,
Taylor

I've owned 4 iPhones, never had a case on any of them and all have been dropped. I've never experienced hardware failure, but it's not impossible to happen.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I was just wondering if the damage to the outside case which include a few minor scratches and also a few dints, does this effect the iPhone signal in anyway?
You'd be the best one to answer that. What have you experienced? It's possible but unlikely. There's no way for any of us to definitively answer your question for you since we have no clue what your drops were like.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I think you'd need a pretty massive impact to one of the antenna bands (top and bottom sections of the phone) to affect the signal in any way. A very large chunk of metal would need to be displaced or removed, or some sort of damage would need to happen to the internal contacts.

Light scratches and dents won't affect it noticeably.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If you haven't noticed the signal strength has dropped and/or more dropped calls, furgitaboutit.

TaylorWright619

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
I haven't noticed anything too bad or whatever, I was just wondering.

I will get some photos up later for some examples...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.