Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 2, 2013, 06:41 PM   #1
iTweed
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Can't recognise library fil?

Dear Mac experts

Got a problem you might be able to help me with. Maybe it's easy to fix maybe not.

The problem: When I fire up Itunes and browse for library files, iTunes won't let me select any files called iTunes Library

How I got here is:
I have my iTunes music and library on an external HDD
The other day my laptop was quiet and I opened iTunes without my HDD plugged in to check if I'd left iTunes quiet. I rashly created a new library on my desktop. No biggy.
I deleted the new library when tidying up stuff.
I plugged in my HDD and turned on iTunes. It prompts me to choose a new libary
everything's greyed out

What should I do? Options I thought of were:
Create a new library on the external HDD and drag all my stuff into it.
Reboot something, somewhere.

As far as I know all my old stuff is in tact iTunes just isn't recognising it. I'm a bit edgy because I lost some of my music about a year ago (long story).

Help appreciated

iTweed
iTweed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:15 AM   #2
bloutrein
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Durban
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTweed View Post
I plugged in my HDD and turned on iTunes. It prompts me to choose a new libary
everything's greyed out
What do you mean "everything is greyed out" could you add a screenshot? What I'd do is go to where your iTunes library.itl file linked to your original iTunes library is and double-click on that. iTunes should automatically open with your original iTunes library in place.
bloutrein is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 07:57 AM   #3
iTweed
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloutrein View Post
What do you mean "everything is greyed out" could you add a screenshot? What I'd do is go to where your iTunes library.itl file linked to your original iTunes library is and double-click on that. iTunes should automatically open with your original iTunes library in place.
Hi Bloutrein thanks for your post.

Sure, my mistake, sorry I didn't explain clearly.



By greyed out I mean, none of the files are selectable.

I'd really like to get my iTunes library back. Help appreciated.
iTweed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 08:05 AM   #4
bloutrein
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Durban
You said that you ran iTunes once with your HDD where your original .itl file is found unplugged.

Isn't "iTunes 1" the new library you created while your HDD was unplugged? What are the contents of "iTunes old" do you see a clickable .itl there?

Ultimately, plug in your external HDD, navigate to the folder where the original .itl file is locatied and without having to open iTunes in advance, double click on the original .itl - this should open your original iTunes library.
bloutrein is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 09:07 AM   #5
iTweed
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloutrein View Post
You said that you ran iTunes once with your HDD where your original .itl file is found unplugged.

Isn't "iTunes 1" the new library you created while your HDD was unplugged? What are the contents of "iTunes old" do you see a clickable .itl there?
No, "iTunes 1" is the correct library. Both are on an external HDD - the new one was on my desktop.

Quote:
Ultimately, plug in your external HDD, navigate to the folder where the original .itl file is locatied and without having to open iTunes in advance, double click on the original .itl - this should open your original iTunes library.
I just tried this exactly as you say - clicking on the original .itl file without lanuching iTunes (at least I think it's .itl - doesn't say in Get Info) - popup says, "The Folder containing iTunes Library cannot be found, and is required. Please choose or locate a new iTunes library"

At this rate I'll just take it into an Apple store.
iTweed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:10 PM   #6
Thraun
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Abbotsford, BC
I think you just have to select the iTunes library folder itself. Going by your screenshot, I think if you just clicked the highlighted 'Open' button you should be good to go.
Thraun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 04:54 AM   #7
iTweed
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraun View Post
I think you just have to select the iTunes library folder itself. Going by your screenshot, I think if you just clicked the highlighted 'Open' button you should be good to go.
Wow, thank you!!

All the guidance I could find said, look for the FILE, and in Windows, opening the folder would just, take you into the folder.

Anyway, muchas gracias. Whoop!
iTweed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 09:51 AM   #8
bloutrein
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Durban
Phew, happy that iTweed's method sorted this out.
bloutrein is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC