Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
The UI needs a total overhaul, and we need a touch controller that is not an iPhone. I find it a really pain the ass navigating round the current UI, it is slow and clunky! Also better and faster playing of large files and DTS!

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
More open, use plex for example instead of itunes. (won't happen)

More channels that are worth anything, especially outside of the US. (Won't happen any time soon)

Apps and ability to surf internet. (won't happen)

Ability to use bluetooth headphones (could happen but probably won't)

StinDaWg

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
Better quality 1080p encodes. Their 1080p encodes look worse than their 720p. This can only be done if they increase the bitrate or keep it the same and move to H.265.

60fps support.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Better quality 1080p encodes.
It's a backend problem, not something that would call for a new device.
I bet Apple is considering the download times for average Joe, who still uses some ADSL broadband connection. Thus the cap on file size they put up in their store.

StinDaWg

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
It's a backend problem, not something that would call for a new device.
I bet Apple is considering the download times for average Joe, who still uses some ADSL broadband connection. Thus the cap on file size they put up in their store.
If they switched to H.265 they could keep the bitrate the same (5 mbps) and have roughly double the quality. This would require new hardware of course.

KellyC

macrumors member
May 11, 2012
Cord cutter here.

Very happy with current Apple TV. I just hope they keep it simple, don't complicate things with apps. requiring cable subscriptions, and do not increase the physical size of the hardware by adding I/O and cameras.

All I want is to have the capability for a "middle of the road" (somewhere between casual and hardcore) game ecosystem and a physical game controller.

Like many Gen Xers I grew up gaming and have had every console generation from Colecovision/Atari to NES/SEGA through XBOX/PS.

With a career and two small children, I don't have the required time to invest in current console games, nor do I have the desire to pay the kind of money AAA console titles are demanding.

I just want a middle-of-the-road game ecosystem that delivers high replay appeal with moderate depth.

whoiare

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2011
i honestly would be satisfied if all they did was remove the stupid computers menu and place all my itunes tv shows, movies, home videos, photos, and pod casts in the appropriate buttons on the home screen. Then allow me to sort by recently added. having to tell someone to navigate to computers then to movies makes no sense where there is a movies button also on the home page.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
I want an iOS 7 UI change and an App Store. I think its time Apple puts this thing into over-drive!!!

I don't think you will see the cartoony bright colors of iOS 7. It just doesn't make sense for a TV interface. Dark works better for tv. What it needs is to get rid of the grid of icons and to provide some real organization along with universal search.

csrini1

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
I want a USB port,all the functionality of boxee box(which samsung bought recently)use/able to play apps from AppStore.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
The Apple TV isn't going to grow by expanding it's local streaming options. It will grow by expanding their internet streaming options and improving the UI in which that can take place.
These features can both be applied to older AppleTVs via an update.

What would be the point of coming out with a new Appletv that offers nothing over the last version? Maybe they will give us colors to choose from and not change anything inside?

Anyway, what I want is the App Store built in, but I am not expecting it.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
The only things that can make me ditch my Roku 3 and come back to the Apple TV are:

1. App store support. Or at least more support for third party apps instead of releasing 4 apps per year.

2. PLEX support. XBMC would never happen but Plex should. Roku supports Plex.

3. Better remote. Simplicity is nice when it comes to UIs but not when it comes to remotes.

4. Improvements on WiFi.

5. Allow AirPlay to work by directly connecting to the Apple TV instead of accessing it by using the Network that they're both connected to. This would improve quality and reduce lag.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
1) Ability to stream from other sources like AFP/SMB/FTP
2) More advanced audio like DTS
3) Reliable home sharing! (now I have to wake my iMac from sleep and make sure iTunes is started)

APhillyApple

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
I don't think you will see the cartoony bright colors of iOS 7. It just doesn't make sense for a TV interface. Dark works better for tv. What it needs is to get rid of the grid of icons and to provide some real organization along with universal search.

With all due respect, the TC asked what I wanted not what I think I will get. Thanks though.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
(1) App Store

(2) 4x3 Support so the device can be used in Education and with the proper aspect ratio of the iPads

(3) TV SHOW and MOVIE FOLDERS!!!!! Can't understand why this was removed.

(4) Apple to stop giving me content without my choice. I don't need a ton of channels I am not going to watch on my screen. This is solved with an App Store as well.

(5) The current grid is not designed great, and I believe Jobs initially rejected it. Not a fan of the huge icons.

* MOST of this can be fixed with a software update.

As for hardware, once 4k is cost effective they should move to that. Stay away from 3D.

RossMcLaren

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
Southend on Sea, Essex, UK
I would love to see the Sky Sports channels delivered on to Apple TV's

The amount of sport loving men and women who could pay a one off £99 for the ATV and then happily pay a monthly fee for access to Sky Sports would be huge.

Shame that the cut that Apple would want would be the prohibitive factor...

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
I want upgraded internals, specifically CPU. There is NO WAY I am buying an AppleTV now with a single core A5. After 2 years, this thing is going the way of the iPod Touch 4, once the new Apple TV gets released - something only a couple months out of cycle, and was not brought along in the iOS upgrade cycle.

QWERTYMac7

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2012
Overall, I just want my Flying Pony and Unicorn to be able to access their iTunes TV Shows/Movies with their hoofs - they can do it now, I only wish Apple could make it easier on the next gen Apple TV.

They are not getting any younger and the upcoming winter makes their joints stiff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.