Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 22, 2013, 07:05 PM   #76
alent1234
macrumors 603

Gave up my ATT unlimited data a long time ago. I use around 1gb per month
I have it on my work verizon phone and use maybe 500mb on it

Lots of things to do on a phone other than stream music and video 24x7

And thinking of moving to t-mobile next year and buy phones outright every 3 to 4 yeRs
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 03:21 AM   #77
Lucille Carter
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by megapopular View Post
It CAN be done and I didn't lie at all... his case is quite a bit more difficult to do, though I gotta agree.
An he deliberately gave up his unlimited account, ATT will not give it back. There was no errors or misunderstanding, there is only regret!
Lucille Carter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 06:07 AM   #78
megapopular
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille Carter View Post
An he deliberately gave up his unlimited account, ATT will not give it back. There was no errors or misunderstanding, there is only regret!
Did you see my picture from a post above?? I DELIBERATELY gave my unlimited plan up in May 2012 and had it readded yesterday.
megapopular is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 08:45 AM   #79
megapopular
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintforlife View Post
I had unlimited with my first iPhone and gave it up in 2009 to save $5 per month for 2GB vs unlimited. Needless to say I am kicking myself for it now. :banghead: At that time I didn't realize the value of unlimited as I was barely crossing 250MB per month. Now I struggle to stay under 2GB every month. FML. Is there any way to get unlimited data back? Has anyone had success doing it with AT&T? What reason could one give for asking for that feature back?
What are you doing to keep data usage down as much as possible? What do you use your internet for on the phone?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 08:51 AM   #80
legioxi
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.cali View Post
Like most have said, once it's removed from your account its gone. Unlimited data is great. I have it with Verizon with unlimited hotspot. The only drawback is I have to pay full retail for my iphone.
Ditto. But with unlimited LTE hotspot... the data more than pays for the phone's retail price. I love that Verizon offers unlimited hotspot.
legioxi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 08:57 AM   #81
megapopular
macrumors 6502a

Yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by legioxi View Post
Ditto. But with unlimited LTE hotspot... the data more than pays for the phone's retail price. I love that Verizon offers unlimited hotspot.
That's definitely a cool feature but I really haven't felt too bad that I don't get that with AT&T, I'm just happy that I can talk and surf the web at the same time. Each company has its plusses and minuses.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 09:02 AM   #82
legioxi
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by megapopular View Post
That's definitely a cool feature but I really haven't felt too bad that I don't get that with AT&T, I'm just happy that I can talk and surf the web at the same time. Each company has its plusses and minuses.
True, nothing worse than working on something online with the hotspot when someone calls me.

I'm hoping the iPhone 6 offers VoLTE along with the Verizon network. But only time will tell.
legioxi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 09:28 AM   #83
Cool Pup
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Cool Pup
Back when they were just shutting off the Unlimited plans, I saw some incidents where people got their Unlimited plans back when they just switched off of it, due to "accidental upgrades" and whatnot.

It's been a few years now, so I don't think that's doable. You could theoretically get it back if the company screws up an order and changes your plan, but aside from that it's gone for good, likely. Sorry.

... At least until they inevitably bring back some sort of Unlimited data plan once the world goes full streaming in the next 5-10 years. It definitely won't be the same price as our original plans, though!

I still have my Unlimited and just buy the new phones at full price every cycle that interests me.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:10 AM   #84
megapopular
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Pup View Post
Back when they were just shutting off the Unlimited plans, I saw some incidents where people got their Unlimited plans back when they just switched off of it, due to "accidental upgrades" and whatnot.

It's been a few years now, so I don't think that's doable. You could theoretically get it back if the company screws up an order and changes your plan, but aside from that it's gone for good, likely. Sorry.

... At least until they inevitably bring back some sort of Unlimited data plan once the world goes full streaming in the next 5-10 years. It definitely won't be the same price as our original plans, though!

I still have my Unlimited and just buy the new phones at full price every cycle that interests me.
Read my above post along with one of 3 denial claims I had from AT&T in regards to restoring unlimited data... I haven't had unlimited data since may 2012 which I removed by calling in to AT&T... I just had it successfully readded yesterday due to my diligence.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 03:06 AM   #85
Synomenon
macrumors member

I think if you still have a working 1st gen. iPhone and you activate a new line on it, they give you an unlimited data plan.

Has this changed? Worked for me before a year ago.
Synomenon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 06:31 AM   #86
Korican100
macrumors 6502

unlimited here, I can hit 5-6 GB before throttle. and throttle is so bad @ .5mb/sec
Korican100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 06:42 AM   #87
the caveman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korican100 View Post
unlimited here, I can hit 5-6 GB before throttle. and throttle is so bad @ .5mb/sec
Same here, i still have my unlimited and get throttled right around 5gb. Im thinking about ditching att and moving to tmobile since they offer the truly unlimited plan.
the caveman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 07:55 AM   #88
tivoboy
macrumors 68000

glad

boy am I glad I kept my unlimited data with AT&T, since moving to the 5s from the 4s, my usage SEEMS to have gone from 400-500, to over 2GB a month. I'm not really what has changed, my usage patterns have NOT CHANGED AT ALL, so either the phone is in the process of doing some heavy uploading or downloading or its a system glitch. would have cost me a bundle if I had moved to a 500MB or 2GB even plan.
tivoboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 08:17 AM   #89
Coleman2010
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by the caveman View Post
Same here, i still have my unlimited and get throttled right around 5gb. Im thinking about ditching att and moving to tmobile since they offer the truly unlimited plan.
I had AT&T unlimited and ditched them for T-Mobile 6 months ago. I'm very happy with T-Mobile.
Coleman2010 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 08:27 AM   #90
pikachu2k7
macrumors regular

I've heard of people who ebay off their unlimited plans for 400+ dollars back in 2011 and 2012. I don't know if this is still being done today.
iPhone 5 Silver 32gb
pikachu2k7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 08:32 AM   #91
tivoboy
macrumors 68000

wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synomenon View Post
I think if you still have a working 1st gen. iPhone and you activate a new line on it, they give you an unlimited data plan.

Has this changed? Worked for me before a year ago.
wow, if AT&T hasn't changed this backdoor hack from a few years ago, somebody should be fired.
tivoboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 09:49 AM   #92
barkomatic
macrumors 68030

A few years ago I consciously gave up unlimited to try out the EVO on Sprint. Well, that didn't work for me and I when I came back to the iPhone I had to select one of the newer tiered data plans.

However, when I was in the Apple store to switch back the genius made an error and didn't port over my number properly. I really wanted my old number back but the situation get so tangled somehow that I had to go to a corporate AT&T store and the associate there couldn't even help me. They put me on the phone with some high level technical person to fix the issue and while I was on the phone with her I asked for unlimited data back. She was easily able to re-apply my unlimited data plan. I'm doubtful that even a person in that position would be willing to do now -- but it seems that if you can get past the first line employees who answer the phone and their supervisors--then you can sometimes reach people who have the power to be more flexible.
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 02:14 PM   #93
E2EK1EL
macrumors 6502

To save $5.00/ month and give up Unlimited Data that is originally priced for $30/ month, that's universally stupid cheap.

Steve Woz pays about $64 a month for unlimited international data, AT&T screwed it up when he upgraded / swapped out his phones. He got it added back on eventually, only because they screwed up so many times.

E2EK1EL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 02:42 PM   #94
zamudiovsky
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
11GB? No wonder some of us are being throttled... true we have the capability, but why 11GB? What are you doing on a phone?

I view lots of YouTube videos and browse the web constantly, and even then I still don't hit 5GB a month... Mind you I sometimes kill in a few hours my battery due to web browsing/internet videos.
Same here, in my room I barely get wifi signal so I tend to use LTE a lot to watch youtube videos, twitter, browse and still don't go over my 3GB plan, I have no idea what I would have to do to go to 11GB! hahaha
zamudiovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone