Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Gave up my ATT unlimited data a long time ago. I use around 1gb per month
I have it on my work verizon phone and use maybe 500mb on it

Lots of things to do on a phone other than stream music and video 24x7

And thinking of moving to t-mobile next year and buy phones outright every 3 to 4 yeRs

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
An he deliberately gave up his unlimited account, ATT will not give it back. There was no errors or misunderstanding, there is only regret!

Did you see my picture from a post above?? I DELIBERATELY gave my unlimited plan up in May 2012 and had it readded yesterday.

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
I had unlimited with my first iPhone and gave it up in 2009 to save $5 per month for 2GB vs unlimited. Needless to say I am kicking myself for it now. :banghead: At that time I didn't realize the value of unlimited as I was barely crossing 250MB per month. Now I struggle to stay under 2GB every month. FML. Is there any way to get unlimited data back? Has anyone had success doing it with AT&T? What reason could one give for asking for that feature back?

What are you doing to keep data usage down as much as possible? What do you use your internet for on the phone?

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
Like most have said, once it's removed from your account its gone. Unlimited data is great. I have it with Verizon with unlimited hotspot. The only drawback is I have to pay full retail for my iphone. :rolleyes:

Ditto. But with unlimited LTE hotspot... the data more than pays for the phone's retail price. I love that Verizon offers unlimited hotspot.

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Yeah...

Ditto. But with unlimited LTE hotspot... the data more than pays for the phone's retail price. I love that Verizon offers unlimited hotspot.

That's definitely a cool feature but I really haven't felt too bad that I don't get that with AT&T, I'm just happy that I can talk and surf the web at the same time. Each company has its plusses and minuses.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
That's definitely a cool feature but I really haven't felt too bad that I don't get that with AT&T, I'm just happy that I can talk and surf the web at the same time. Each company has its plusses and minuses.

True, nothing worse than working on something online with the hotspot when someone calls me. :)

I'm hoping the iPhone 6 offers VoLTE along with the Verizon network. But only time will tell.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Back when they were just shutting off the Unlimited plans, I saw some incidents where people got their Unlimited plans back when they just switched off of it, due to "accidental upgrades" and whatnot.

It's been a few years now, so I don't think that's doable. You could theoretically get it back if the company screws up an order and changes your plan, but aside from that — it's gone for good, likely. Sorry. :(

... At least until they inevitably bring back some sort of Unlimited data plan once the world goes full streaming in the next 5-10 years. It definitely won't be the same price as our original plans, though!

I still have my Unlimited and just buy the new phones at full price every cycle that interests me.

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Back when they were just shutting off the Unlimited plans, I saw some incidents where people got their Unlimited plans back when they just switched off of it, due to "accidental upgrades" and whatnot.

It's been a few years now, so I don't think that's doable. You could theoretically get it back if the company screws up an order and changes your plan, but aside from that — it's gone for good, likely. Sorry. :(

... At least until they inevitably bring back some sort of Unlimited data plan once the world goes full streaming in the next 5-10 years. It definitely won't be the same price as our original plans, though!

I still have my Unlimited and just buy the new phones at full price every cycle that interests me.

Read my above post along with one of 3 denial claims I had from AT&T in regards to restoring unlimited data... I haven't had unlimited data since may 2012 which I removed by calling in to AT&T... I just had it successfully readded yesterday due to my diligence.

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
I think if you still have a working 1st gen. iPhone and you activate a new line on it, they give you an unlimited data plan.

Has this changed? Worked for me before a year ago.

the caveman

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
unlimited here, I can hit 5-6 GB before throttle. and throttle is so bad @ .5mb/sec

Same here, i still have my unlimited and get throttled right around 5gb. Im thinking about ditching att and moving to tmobile since they offer the truly unlimited plan.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
glad

boy am I glad I kept my unlimited data with AT&T, since moving to the 5s from the 4s, my usage SEEMS to have gone from 400-500, to over 2GB a month. I'm not really what has changed, my usage patterns have NOT CHANGED AT ALL, so either the phone is in the process of doing some heavy uploading or downloading or its a system glitch. would have cost me a bundle if I had moved to a 500MB or 2GB even plan.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Same here, i still have my unlimited and get throttled right around 5gb. Im thinking about ditching att and moving to tmobile since they offer the truly unlimited plan.

I had AT&T unlimited and ditched them for T-Mobile 6 months ago. I'm very happy with T-Mobile.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
wow

I think if you still have a working 1st gen. iPhone and you activate a new line on it, they give you an unlimited data plan.

Has this changed? Worked for me before a year ago.
wow, if AT&T hasn't changed this backdoor hack from a few years ago, somebody should be fired.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
A few years ago I consciously gave up unlimited to try out the EVO on Sprint. Well, that didn't work for me and I when I came back to the iPhone I had to select one of the newer tiered data plans.

However, when I was in the Apple store to switch back the genius made an error and didn't port over my number properly. I really wanted my old number back but the situation get so tangled somehow that I had to go to a corporate AT&T store and the associate there couldn't even help me. They put me on the phone with some high level technical person to fix the issue and while I was on the phone with her I asked for unlimited data back. She was easily able to re-apply my unlimited data plan. I'm doubtful that even a person in that position would be willing to do now -- but it seems that if you can get past the first line employees who answer the phone and their supervisors--then you can sometimes reach people who have the power to be more flexible.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
To save $5.00/ month and give up Unlimited Data that is originally priced for $30/ month, that's universally stupid cheap.

Steve Woz pays about $64 a month for unlimited international data, AT&T screwed it up when he upgraded / swapped out his phones. He got it added back on eventually, only because they screwed up so many times.

zamudiovsky

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
11GB? No wonder some of us are being throttled... true we have the capability, but why 11GB? What are you doing on a phone?

I view lots of YouTube videos and browse the web constantly, and even then I still don't hit 5GB a month... Mind you I sometimes kill in a few hours my battery due to web browsing/internet videos.

Same here, in my room I barely get wifi signal so I tend to use LTE a lot to watch youtube videos, twitter, browse and still don't go over my 3GB plan, I have no idea what I would have to do to go to 11GB! hahaha

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I have unlimited data on my 5s with tmobile. But I have a att unlimited data iPad plan on my rmini. It's a godsend. I watch netflix, YouTube, hbo go, watch espn etc. never throttled always att 4g lte. 30 a month.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I have unlimited data on my 5s with tmobile. But I have a att unlimited data iPad plan on my rmini. It's a godsend. I watch netflix, YouTube, hbo go, watch espn etc. never throttled always att 4g lte. 30 a month.

I just took a look at eBay and wow some people are paying over $1000 for that unlimited iPad plan.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Anybody still have AT&T unlimited data? Can you get it back, if you gave it up?

I just took a look at eBay and wow some people are paying over $1000 for that unlimited iPad plan.

Yup. If u use data it's worth it. 30 a month. I'm actually selling 1 for 1000. To me it's worth it. Att charges 50 for 5 gigs, and like 10 a gig after that. I did like 26 gigs last month which is kinda low for me. My bill would've been like 260 for one month. Instead it's 30. Pays for itself pretty easily.

It's funny cuz people tell me I'm crazy cuz they see att plans for like 2-400, not knowing those are smartphone plans, which throttle u after 5 gigs. Like you've seen, what I have is rare, and valuable. I've known people who replaced their home internet with this plan.

I've got mine on a jb rmini with tetherme. Hotspot all day lte no throttling. Stream tv shows, movies, music etc. it's awesome.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.