Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Mar 20, 2013, 09:42 AM   #76
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

Law doesn't work like that though. If investigators find out who provided the booze (and I doubt that they even will since there are so many legal vectors - heck it could have been stolen), the most that they can ever be charged under is providing alcohol to a minor which is a crime. I think you get a pretty hefty fine.

Alcohol is not an illegal drug so I have no idea how "illegal drug distribution" can apply. It's not really comparable though to any other drugs though from a legal perspective - it's controlled by age.

And all that assumes that the cops will ever find out how they got it - they may not be all that concerned since the crime of rape doesn't require them to know where the alcohol was obtained and there is no incentive for any of the kids to tell the cops either. Unfortunate, but that's the way things are.
pdjudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:11 AM   #77
quagmire
macrumors 603

Bumping this for an update.

So now the director of tech at the highschool was arrested for trying to cover it up. He faces 4 years in jail which is more than what the boys got for raping the girl.....

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/08/justic...html?hpt=hp_t2
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2013, 12:14 PM   #78
NightGeometry
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Bumping this for an update.

He faces 4 years in jail which is more than what the boys got for raping the girl.....
Isn't that the case with a lot of perversion of the law type crimes? Contempt of court and blackmail being the two that spring to mind.

To me that doesn't seem such a terrible thing? If you knowingly cover up for someones crime you will be liable for harsher repercussions - I'd actually suggest that someone knowingly covering up should automatically face twice the burden. It's the one area where I think punitive measures actually serve as an example.

Most crimes are committed in the heat of the moment (I actually have nothing to back that up), whereas someone in a position of authority involved in a cover up isn't a crime of passion. Thus it is a worse crime.

Thoughts?
NightGeometry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2013, 03:55 PM   #79
redshift1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightGeometry View Post
Isn't that the case with a lot of perversion of the law type crimes? Contempt of court and blackmail being the two that spring to mind.

To me that doesn't seem such a terrible thing? If you knowingly cover up for someones crime you will be liable for harsher repercussions - I'd actually suggest that someone knowingly covering up should automatically face twice the burden. It's the one area where I think punitive measures actually serve as an example.

Most crimes are committed in the heat of the moment (I actually have nothing to back that up), whereas someone in a position of authority involved in a cover up isn't a crime of passion. Thus it is a worse crime.

Thoughts?
You mean most violent crimes.......

redshift1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2013, 11:51 AM   #80
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Bumping for an update.

Steubenville: four more charged in Ohio rape case

Quote:
A school superintendent and three more people have been charged by a grand jury that investigated whether other laws were broken in the rape of a 16-year-old West Virginia girl last year in eastern Ohio.

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine announced the charges Monday in Steubenville.

The grand jury had investigated whether adults like coaches or school administrators knew of the rape allegation but failed to report it as required by state law.

The Steubenville superintendent faces the most serious charges, including obstructing justice. A principal, a strength coach and a volunteer coach also are charged. They're accused of interfering with the investigation or failing to report possible abuse of a minor.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 12:04 PM   #81
tktaylor1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
I was just reading this right before I got on. I hope they are all convicted if they are guilty. It's sad when football is more important in America than a persons life, well-being, future. It always seems to be pushed under the rug just to save athletics.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 08:11 PM   #82
haxrnick
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tktaylor1 View Post
I was just reading this right before I got on. I hope they are all convicted if they are guilty. It's sad when football is more important in America than a persons life, well-being, future. It always seems to be pushed under the rug just to save athletics.
Agree. Be interesting to see what happens with the Jameis Winston situation down at Florida State.
haxrnick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2013, 08:22 PM   #83
tktaylor1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by haxrnick View Post
Agree. Be interesting to see what happens with the Jameis Winston situation down at Florida State.
From what I've read about that, she is lying. Its more of a regret one night stand. That whole thing from the get go seemed really fishy to me.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues